This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE 4.4.x: Folder view activity with a trash icon?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
angel-tsankov
Registered Member
OS
In the folder view activity in KDE 4.4.5, how can I have an icon on the desktop that opens ~/.local/share/Trash upon double-clicking?
Hans
Administrator
OS
Right click in Folder View -> Create New -> Link to Location (URL) -> Enter trash:/ as location (or ~/.local/share/Trash if that's what you really want - but I think it'll behave like a normal link/folder in that case).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
angel-tsankov
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:Right click in Folder View -> Create New -> Link to Location (URL) -> Enter trash:/ as location (or ~/.local/share/Trash if that's what you really want - but I think it'll behave like a normal link/folder in that case).

'trash:/' works the way I meant. I thought there was some 'standard' icon for this.
google01103
Manager
if you want the trash icon displayed you need to assign it

right click the existing icon (blue folder) -> properites -> left click the existing icon (blue folder) -> change top right pull down menu from applications to places -> search for "trash" -> left click trash icon -> click ok

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

angel-tsankov
Registered Member
OS
I figured that out and did it. It's fine except that (in contrast to other trash bins) the icon does not change when the trash is not empty.
google01103
Manager
angel-tsankov wrote:I figured that out and did it. It's fine except that (in contrast to other trash bins) the icon does not change when the trash is not empty.

could be because the trash bin(s) you're comparing it to is not a link but a plasmoid?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Hans
Administrator
OS
Weird, I seem to remember that it worked automatically before. At least I get the standard trash icon (full) when I create a link to trash:/.

To also get an empty icon:
1. Open the desktop file in a text editor (right click on trash -> Open With -> e.g. Kate).
2. Add the line
Code: Select all
EmptyIcon=user-trash

below "Icon=user-trash-full". Save and quit the text editor.

This should work in theory, but it seems like Folderview doesn't refresh properly to show the icon change (bug 249725).

I didn't find a bug regarding the incorrect desktop file (i.e. it does not contain EmptyIcon=user-trash by default), it would be great if you could do a search and file a bug if it hasn't been reported.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts