This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Missing My Task Bar??

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bradastan
Registered Member
OS

Missing My Task Bar??

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:22 pm
Ok, I'm not even sure what to call it since KDE is different than windows. But I'm using KDE 4.4.4 on OpenSUSE 11.3. I'm going to use windows words to describe what I did and hopefully someone can translate into KDE and tell me how to reverse it. ;-)

I tried to drag an icon from my desktop onto my task bar. It didn't seem to "take" but was sitting there so I right clicked on it and choose "remove" but I think it actually said "remove panel", I'm not sure, it was obscured slightly because of the transparent effect of the icon overlapping the task bar. Anyway, at that moment, the icon remained but what I call the "system tray" slid over to the left next to the virtual desktops selectors and all the minimized apps that had been on the task bar are now gone from the task bar, although they are still running.

Anyone know how I can make it so that open applications will appear on the task bar? When I minimize an application, there is no indication that it is running at all. I have to use ALT-TAB to get back to it.

Thanks for any help!
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: Missing My Task Bar??  Topic is solved

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:10 pm
OK, some KDE terminology:
(Windows -> KDE)
Task bar -> Panel
The thing you removed -> Task Manager or Task bar [widget]

What you have to do is to add the task manager to your panel again, like this:

Plasma HowTo - Add widget to panel

Just drag (or double click on) the task manager widget instead. Note that you need to unlock you widgets first.

If you want to add an icon, you need to have your widgets unlocked (which you probably had) and drag it to an empty space in the panel, for example between two widgets. Most likely you tried to drag it on the task manager widget, since it expands to fill the empty space in the panel.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bradastan
Registered Member
OS

Re: Missing My Task Bar??

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:23 pm
Thanks so much! I'm back in business! ;D

Hans wrote:OK, some KDE terminology:
(Windows -> KDE)
Task bar -> Panel
The thing you removed -> Task Manager or Task bar [widget]

What you have to do is to add the task manager to your panel again, like this:

Plasma HowTo - Add widget to panel

Just drag (or double click on) the task manager widget instead. Note that you need to unlock you widgets first.

If you want to add an icon, you need to have your widgets unlocked (which you probably had) and drag it to an empty space in the panel, for example between two widgets. Most likely you tried to drag it on the task manager widget, since it expands to fill the empty space in the panel.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: Missing My Task Bar??

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:29 pm
You're welcome. Since it sounds like you're satisfied with the answer, please click on Image below the post with the solution to mark this topic as solved. This will make it easier for others with similar problems to find the answer. :)

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts