This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dual Monitor Problem at restart?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Dual Monitor Problem at restart?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:25 am
Interesting, it should apply the settings. If you right click on the KRandRTray icon are they applied?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Qazzian
Registered Member
OS
I'm also having trouble with krandr resetting options on startup.

Here is my output from ~/.kde/share/config/krandrrc after making my changes:

What is interesting is that this config was last edited yesterday morning despite me having to reconfigure the screens again today.

Code: Select all
[Screen_0]
OutputsUnified=false
UnifiedRect=0,0,1280,1024
UnifiedRotation=1

[Screen_0_Output_DVI-0]
Active=true
Rect=0,0,1280,1024
RefreshRate=60.0197410583496
Rotation=1

[Screen_0_Output_DVI-1]
Active=true
Rect=1280,0,1280,1024
RefreshRate=75.0246734619141
Rotation=1

Hibernate and sleep keeps the screen settings, but these cause their own problems.
rvrichie
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:40 am
Sorry to say, but I'm also having trouble with krandr resetting options on startup.

I'm running Fedora 13 on GeForce4 graphic card (if it mathers).

Is there a solution?!?
manifesto
Registered Member
OS
To avoid this pb I use the following script in Xsetup (directory may change between distro) :
INT="LVDS1"
EXT="VGA1"
xrandr -q | grep -q "$EXT connected"   && {
xrandr --output $EXT --mode 1280x1024
xrandr --output $INT --mode 1366x768
xrandr --output $INT --right-of $EXT
xrandr --output $INT --primary
}

I hope this helps.
bradastan
Registered Member
OS
Yes, if I right click the icon and select unified display and apply, nothing happens since it is already unified (how I don't want it) but then I uncheck unified display and apply, and it fixes it so that the right monitor is RIGHT OF. But still nothing will bring the display back the way I left it before restarting.

bcooksley wrote:Interesting, it should apply the settings. If you right click on the KRandRTray icon are they applied?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 pm
Ok, a bug report at bugs.kde.org is needed for this issue. Can you please check to see if one exists and file one if there isn't?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Spida
Registered Member
OS
Same problem here:

I have two monitors side by side. after bootup, they are in clone-mode of the "wrong" screen (the one containing no panel/menu/launcher). So to use the system, each time after login I have to add a panel, add the launcher, open Systemsettings -> Display -> Size&Orientation and set the second Display to "Left of" instead of clone, apply this setting and the remove the panel I just created.

~/.kde/share/config/krandrrc seems to contain the correct size&orientation settings, though:
[Screen_0]
OutputsUnified=false
UnifiedRect=0,0,0,0
UnifiedRotation=1

[Screen_0_Output_DVI-I-1]
Active=true
Rect=1280,0,1280,1024
RefreshRate=60.0197410583496
Rotation=1

[Screen_0_Output_DVI-I-2]
Active=true
Rect=0,0,1280,1024
RefreshRate=75.0246734619141
Rotation=1

The size&orientation settings in this file change when I use the Systemsettings -> Display -> Size&Orientation or krandrtray to change them. However, according to the OSD of my monitors, the refresh rate is wrong (both monitors get 60Hz) and the value in the file does NOT change if I change it in the settings dialog (neither does the actual refreshrate as displayed by the monitor OSD change).

But krandrtray is not started automatically and adding it to autostart doesn't help (it is then started, but doesn't restore the settings)

Debian squeeze, KDE 4.4.5, nVidia GeForce 9600 GT with nouveau, no X configuration file
Spida
Registered Member
OS
Playmobil
Registered Member
OS
Hi, I can reproduce this annoying bug on the following Systems:

FreeBSD 7 and 8
Arch Linux
ubuntu 9 and 10.10
Opensuse 11.3

I've tried all the above systems, my setup is 2 monitors, and whenever I reboot my system KDE shows the 2 monitors Always in CLONE mode.

I can reproduce this bug on 4.5 and 4.6 BETA.

I'm will try the SVN version and report back :)
fede_pg
Registered Member
OS
Same problem for me too, on two separate laptops.

Laptop #1: HP 6530B with Fedora 15 and KDE 4.6.5, Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller

Laptop #2: HP 8440P with Fedora 15 and KDE 4.6.5, Nvidia Graphics Controller
lwolczak
Registered Member
This might help: when you configure dual view with right of or left of select primary output monitor and click apply. When config is finished click on Save as default or similar :) in my language it is "Zapisz jako domyslny"