This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dual Monitor Problem at restart?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bradastan
Registered Member
OS

Dual Monitor Problem at restart?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:08 pm
So each time I restart or logoff/logon in KDE 4.4.4, my settings for dual monitors is lost. I tell KDE to have the right monitor position itself to the RIGHT OF the primary monitor, but each time I restart it resets the position so that what is on the primary monitor is duplicated across both screens?

Anyway to make my preferences permanent? Thanks in advance.

...Brad
francisl
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I have the same problem and it's really annoying.

I was using the default kde ship with ubuntu 10.04, I then upgrate to 4.5.1. (as descript on the kubuntu website) And the problem is still present.

Not only that my monitor settings get reset each logout, but my activies, taskbar, ...

Thank you
Hans
Administrator
OS
Can you post more information about your setup? Graphic card? Do you use krandr to set up your monitors? Is it autostarted by default?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bradastan
Registered Member
OS
I personally am running an Nvidia 8400GS video card and I've not heard of krandr so I suspect I'm NOT using that. I'm running with OpenSUSE 11.3 and KDE 4.4.4 came with it. I haven't tried updating KDE but would try that if it is suggested here?

Hans wrote:Can you post more information about your setup? Graphic card? Do you use krandr to set up your monitors? Is it autostarted by default?
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: Dual Monitor Problem at restart?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 pm
I would guess you use Twinview then, can you post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf here please?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bradastan
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:39 pm
Well, I've got an xorg.conf.install, but no xorg.conf. Here is the contents of the .install file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "vboxvideo"
Driver "vboxvideo"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "vboxvideo"
Device "vboxvideo"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "vmware"
Driver "vmware"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "vmware"
Device "vmware"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "cirrus"
Driver "cirrus"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "cirrus"
Device "cirrus"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "fbdev"
Driver "fbdev"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "fbdev"
Device "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "vesa"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "vesa"
Device "vesa"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout"
Screen "vboxvideo"
Screen "vmware"
Screen "cirrus"
Screen "fbdev"
Screen "vesa"
EndSection

Hans wrote:I would guess you use Twinview then, can you post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf here please?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you used KRandR ( System Settings Display module ) to set your default monitor, ensure that "krandrtray" runs on startup.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Hans
Administrator
OS
One other thing - both monitors are connected to the same card, right? If I remember correctly that's necessary to get Twinview to work.

Also, have you installed a Nvidia driver? I would start with that if I were you (you should be able to do it from YaST).

burntsushi
Registered Member
OS
cao1
Registered Member

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:25 pm
as much as i love KDE, this fairly major "mishap" is a prime example as to why gnome is currently the linux desktop manager of choice for most people.

i have the exact same problem happening on two of my machines, one using a radeon x700, the other using an AMD RS integrated graphics chip. both run the open source amd driver on kubuntu 10.04. krandrtray is used to configure the monitors and is started upon bootup.

furthermore, the default settings it reverts to upon reboot are the maximum resolution supported by both monitors (1152x854), with cloning of the monitors enabled (instead of the previously selected "right of"). surely it should default to the maximum resolution for both monitors and align them next to each other, rather than clone them. this is what all other OS do.

Last edited by cao1 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
bradastan wrote:I personally am running an Nvidia 8400GS video card and I've not heard of krandr so I suspect I'm NOT using that. I'm running with OpenSUSE 11.3 and KDE 4.4.4 came with it. I haven't tried updating KDE but would try that if it is suggested here?

Are you using the NVidia binary drivers? When you configured the the desktop, did you use a tool provided by Nvidia or a tool provided by KDE?

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
bradastan
Registered Member
OS
I used the basic KDE tool to configure the desktop. I could try downloading and installing the NVidia drivers if that might fix things?

TheBlackCat wrote:
bradastan wrote:I personally am running an Nvidia 8400GS video card and I've not heard of krandr so I suspect I'm NOT using that. I'm running with OpenSUSE 11.3 and KDE 4.4.4 came with it. I haven't tried updating KDE but would try that if it is suggested here?

Are you using the NVidia binary drivers? When you configured the the desktop, did you use a tool provided by Nvidia or a tool provided by KDE?
bradastan
Registered Member
OS
How do I have krandrtray run at startup? Thanks!

bcooksley wrote:If you used KRandR ( System Settings Display module ) to set your default monitor, ensure that "krandrtray" runs on startup.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:34 am
Copy /usr/share/applications/kde4/krandrtray.desktop to ~/.kde4/Autostart

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
bradastan
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:18 pm
That has it auto start now (with a confirmation) but it doesn't do anything to correct the problem of having to tell KDE to keep the right monitor display to the "Right Of" the primary monitor display.

bcooksley wrote:Copy /usr/share/applications/kde4/krandrtray.desktop to ~/.kde4/Autostart