This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why Oxygen style don't works with root apps?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cybeer
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

I have OpenSUSE 11.3 with KDE 4.5.1 (from the Factory repo) and i recently upgraded to QT 4.7. Now i have a strange behaviour: when i start qt apps in root mode, with kdesu (ex. Dolphin in admin mode) they don't follow the Oxygen style. If I login as root, the kde4 style is set to Oxygen, so i don't know what's the problem :(

I have a screenshot to illustrate the behaviour: the front window is in admin mode, the one in the back is normal.

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/100925/bug_www.k ... es.hu_.png

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Interesting. It may be possible that kdesu doesn't run the root app as a pure root app, and it still has links back to your settings.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
Strange. Have you tried setting a different style, both for your normal user account and the root user, to see if it is a Oxygen problem or something else?

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
cybeer
Registered Member
OS
yes, i tried setting to bespin style, same result :| The root apps falls back to that ugly theme.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Hm, looks like Plastique which is the default Qt theme as far as I know.

Can you please try with another user than root? You can do this from e.g. KRunner, Alt+F2 -> Type dolphin -> click on wrench icon -> Run as different user.

You might also want to try with the command sux if OpenSUSE provides it (you probably have to install it).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
cybeer
Registered Member
OS
hm, if i try to run with another user it don't start. Nothing happens. If i try to start doplhin from root console i get this error:

Code: Select all
 <unknown program name>(9842)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

<unknown program name>(9841)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.
AGuiFr
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

same issue here, with the same configuration: openSUSE 11.3, KDE 4.5.2 (updated today but the problem was already there with 4.5.1) and Qt 4.7.

When I try to log on the root account in KDM, I have a pop up saying I'm not allowed to. I already logged as root like that in the past (yeah, I know, I shouldn't...).

Changing the style with kdesu systemsettings doesn't change anything.

So we are at least two facing this problem. Does anyone have a solution ?
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
I am having the same issue.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you tried running "kdesu systemsettings --nofork"?

KDE Sysadmin
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
It won't run:

Code: Select all
> kdesu systemsettings --nofork
kdesu: Unknown option 'fork'.
kdesu: Use --help to get a list of available command line options.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Silly kdesu. Try kdesu "systemsettings --nofork"

KDE Sysadmin
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Nope, it shows the oxygen style there, but not in other applications I launch through kdesu.

-NASA in 1965
ademmer
Registered Member
OS
Were you able to solve the issue? I face it now, too. Used to work a few days ago. Strange...
Xiceph
Registered Member
OS
I found a solution at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=707717.
It is solved by copy /usr/lib/kde4/plugins/styles/oxygen.so to /usr/lib/qt/plugins/styles
off220
Registered Member
thanx for the tip, dude..it really helps!