This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

dual-screen in kde 4.5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cman
Registered Member

dual-screen in kde 4.5

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:53 am
Everything was working fine until a month ago with my dual-monitor configuration.

I had a different activity assigned to each monitor so if for example I decided to use only one of the screens i could access to the widgets of the other one just by switching the activity (if i had the two monitors connected i am seeing the two activities at the same time).

Now i can't see how to do that, I have two screens but only one activity and one desktop (that is as big as the tow monitors), if i restart and i use only ione screen i cant access to the widgets in the other screen plus it makes a little mess by overlappin the panels of boths screens (i have one main panel in each screen)

Any way to solve this?

And another problem i have but i think it has always been like this, is that there is no way i can play any game full screen and not to lose my dual-screen configuration.. if i start a game, it automatically choose the monitor i dont want to use, and desactivate the other one which i have to reactivate manually.

Any advice??.
greetings!.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Re: dual-screen in kde 4.5

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 pm
Activities span all screens for KDE 4.5, there is no way to change the containment (desktop) on the screens independently. This is in line with the intent of activities, which are literally "the task you are doing right now". You can't be doing two different tasks simultaneously.

This is how things will likely stay in principle, but for 4.6 there will be a way to manipulate switch to containments from screens that are no longer attached (although they are still associated with the current activity). This feature did not make it into 4.5, in fact I am not sure it is finished even now. It is not an easy issue to deal with in a clean manner.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965