This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

starting a KDE app with not-default color scheme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
anli
Registered Member
OS
Is it possible?

I mean keeping current user enviroment (starting from another user isn't appropriate at my case).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
KDE applications will follow the configuration settings as set in the user configuration directory, which is usually ~/.kde or ~/.kde4 and can be changed at runtime with the $KDEHOME environment variable.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
anli
Registered Member
OS
I must keep current environment, KDE's one also.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please clarify what you are trying to do?

KDE Sysadmin
anli
Registered Member
OS
I try to find a workaround of this famous (I mean highly voted) and longstanding bug:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=229452
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
So you wish to start Amarok with a different colour scheme to the rest of KDE?
You can do this by having a different set of settings for it.

Open Konsole, and enter "export KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde4-amarok/"
Then run "systemsettings" and configure how you would like Amarok to appear ( colour scheme, etc. )
Finally, run "amarok" to start Amarok itself.

Note that you will need to run the first command ( export... ) in Konsole each time you wish to start Amarok. ( And Amarok must be started from that same console )

KDE Sysadmin
anli
Registered Member
OS
Ugh... At least an hour for all settings is needed :)

Thanks! I'll try (well, of course I'll try to use bash script for amarok starting, when the settings be done).

New config dir contains links to 'cache', 'socket' and 'tmp' inside /tmp. This way main KDE environment intersects with amarok's one. Is it safe?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As long as there is no significant difference in settings, it should be fine.

KDE Sysadmin
anli
Registered Member
OS
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
So there are no environment variables which allow overriding color or UI schemes? I think GTK allows such kind of thing with GTK_PATH variable, which can be useful in some cases to point to a custom theme. I just run into a problem with running Meld with Krita Dark color scheme (using oxygen GTK theme set for GTK applications). Meld looks really unreadable in that case...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You can change the style engine which is used, but from what I am aware Krita forces this to Oxygen anyway.
Unfortunately I am not aware of any environment variable or command line argument you can pass to an application which would change it's behaviour in regards to using a different colour scheme. The only thing you can do is set an alternative KDEHOME and have a completely different set of settings for that application.

KDE Sysadmin
almaic
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:The only thing you can do is set an alternative KDEHOME and have a completely different set of settings for that application.

This is an old post, but I am trying to do something similar with plasma 5, but it seems like changing KDEHOME doesn't work. Do you maybe have a clue why?
awerle
Registered Member
I'm trying to do this in Plasma 5 too.

I would like to set a couple of apps to run with the normal Breeze theme while having Breeze Dark as my default.
Rog131
Registered Member
awerle wrote:I'm trying to do this in Plasma 5 too.

I would like to set a couple of apps to run with the normal Breeze theme while having Breeze Dark as my default.

With the KDE Frameworks 5:

- Launching applications with custom color schemes : viewtopic.php?f=17&t=136316
- Trying to find a workaround Bug 346135 : viewtopic.php?f=67&t=135421
awerle
Registered Member
Thanks!

I made an alternative .config directory and now I can use
Code: Select all
export XDG_CONFIG_HOME = /home/user/.config_alt ; program

I made the alternative config directory by changing the theme to the alternative theme and saving the .config directory in another directory, called .config_alt.

EDIT: Still does not work for libreoffice. :(