This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Change KDE Trash Default Location

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Registered Member
OS

Change KDE Trash Default Location

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:40 pm
Hello,

What I want to Do: I know KDE default trash location is /home/USER/.local/Trash but I really want to set it to another path like /media/Dados/.Trash-1000 (default Trash path of GNOME/Nautilus on my other partition) or, if possible, set it to create a path on the root of the partition where the deleted files were to store these files as trash (like the Nautilus - Gnome do)...

Objective: At this way I will be able to delete files faster than I do with Dolphin File Manager (I know I can use the Shift + Del to permanently delete files, but I really don't want them to be permanently deleted)...

PS: Actually I delete files only with Nautilus (Gnome) because it gives me that function (Dolphin can see these deleted files under the trash:/ folder too) by saving my deleted files in the path /media/Dados/.Trash-1000 where I can restore my files in my Windows 7 OS too (this partition is NTFS Filesystem)

PS²: I really liked the KDE (I think it's better in almost all aspects than the GNOME), but I need to say that the way it manages the trash is terrible compared to the GNOME in terms of speed of the deletion... Is this caused by the movement of the files between partitions (My data partition (/media/Dados) to Linux partition (/home/USER/.local/Trash))?

Thanks for your Attention,

André M.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Are you sure this is not what it is doing? On my computer KDE stores files deleted from removable media in a directory called .Trash-1000 in the root directory of the removable drive, exactly what you want it to do. I am even able to set different settings for the trash folders on different drives. This might be a kubuntu-specific modification, it certainly isn't standard behavior since the KDE Trash configuration is designed around having multiple independent trash folders on different drives.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Registered Member
OS
I'm pretty sure it's saving these files at the ROOT of the LINUX PARTITION (/) instead of the root of my other partition (/media/Dados) because I deleted a file by Dolphin and it has gone to the path "/home/Andre/.local/Trash"...

How can I set it to it's default again?

I installed on my Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) the package "kubuntu-desktop" and it's dependencies by the Synaptic Package Manager and I actually use it as my default Login Manager and Desktop GUI.... This package also have installed the package "kubuntu-default-settings" as it's dependency (I think this package is about the default settings of Kubuntu 10.10)...

PS: I only tested this in the Dolphin File Manager, so I cannot say it's a KDE problem, but I think so because of the Gnome (Nautilus) way of dealing...

PS²: Is there any way to correctly reinstall Kubuntu 10.10 in my machine (I can format my partition to do it if necessary - I don't have the Kubuntu 10.10 Live CD, but I have the Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD)?

Thanks for your attention,

André M.
Registered Member
OS
Hi guys,

I found together with alex_may... (a user of Yahoo Answer service) the origin of the problem in the site http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html through the Yahoo Answer services in the page http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101110094140AAdNhlS...

Origin of the Problem: It's a specific configuration of Kubuntu 10.10 that makes it move the trashed files from a HDD partition to the path /home/USER/.local/share/Trash and this configuration cannot be changed ... :(... Note that this does not happen on Removable Media ... But, I'll send to the developers of Kubuntu my suggestion of changing this file to act as GNOME (create individual paths inside the root of the partition called .Trash-USERID)

I'd like to give an special thanks to TheBlackCat for trying to fix this "problem" with me,

Thanks for your attention,

André M.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
I know it isn't solved, but could you please click the Image button on the post that you think best explains the nature of the problem? That could be yours.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Registered Member
OS

Re: Change KDE Trash Default Location

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 am
Ok....
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
Is this still the case with KDE 4.10.1, that the default trash location can't be changed? Now that I have an SSD, I'd like to write to it at little as possible, especially with stuff like trash and temporary files. i imagine this will become more and more common with users as multi-disk configurations (e.g. SSD + mechanical) become pretty standard.

What happens if one puts a symbolic or hard link of their trash folder in the default location while the folder sits in a non-default location?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
From what I can tell a symlink should work - as long as the directory it points to always contains a valid trash folder structure.
Hardlinks are usually not permitted for folders (although root can usually create them) and in any case hardlinks do not work across different file systems.

I don't see the ability to move the trash folder changing any time soon unfortunately, as KDE is likely to continue to follow the XDG specification.
If a method to set the preferred location for the user trash folder existed in XDG, then KDE would follow it I suspect.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
emrecio
Registered Member
OS

Re: Change KDE Trash Default Location

Thu May 07, 2015 12:30 pm
This is still a problem with KDE. (Even on other distros)

Basically I want to have the trash bin, but not have the trash /copied/ from partition to partition. When I delete a file (DELETE it vs SHIFT-DELETE) It should keep it on the same device/filesystem, and not move the 3GB file to my home directory's trash bin.

Mac does this very well. (Though I have many other complaints with Mac)
ShamballaJones
Registered Member
I have the same problem as others describe here and which seems likely to become common; My home directory is split across a fast but relatively small SSD and a larger but slower HDD and I'd like to locate the Trash folder on the later rather than the former.

As suggested by other posters it's possible to do this by moving ~/.local/share/Trash to ~/hdd/Trash (or wherever the HDD is) and then making ~/.local/share/Trash a link to ~/hdd/Trash. This seems to work, files sent to the trash folder appear in ~/hdd/Trash and then disappear when the trash folder is emptied.