This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

adding a custom layout under system-settings, regional opts

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nass
Registered Member
OS
Hello everyone!
I am in a situation where I have a laptop with a uk keyboard layout, but need to type in greek too. Problem is, the greek kb layout is based on the US layout. as such whats on the keyboard and what appears on my screen is not the same when i type in greek (i'm referring to accents here, not the alphanumeric characters).

with the help of this thread http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/greek-and-gb-english-on-a-gb-keyboard-in-kde-843223/ I managed to generate a custom layout gr_GB based on the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/gr layout.

The thing is after I restart X, the gr_GB layout doesn't show up under system-settings, regional and language options.

I have managed to find a temporary remedy for this problem; I explicitly included in ~/.kde/share/config/kxkbrc the layout I want:

LayoutList=gb,gr_GB(extended)

(instead of LayoutList=gb,gr(extended) )

But this doesn't look so neat.

What can I do to make the new layout show up?

Thank you for your help!
next_ghost
Registered Member
OS
I have the same problem. My modified dvorak layout doesn't show up in the list of available keyboard variants since I've updated to 4.5.4 even though I can load it using setxkbmap directly. It was there when I still used 4.4.
tobia
Registered Member
I have the same problem too.

I have added a custom layout as a separate file in /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ and symlinked it into /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ just in case.

I can put it into /etc/default/keyboard (Debian) and use it across the system, but KDE System Settings just won't show it in the list.

I have tried adding it to /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst at the end of the ! layout section, to no avail.