This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE 4.5 add menu button keyboard shortcut support

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cyrex
Registered Member
OS
In KDE 4.5.3 i can still not use the MENU key to open for example Konsole. In Gnome i can assing the MENU key (Typically Between the right ALT key and right CTRL key. Has a context meny logo on it)

I wish to assign ONLY this key to open the konsole. So when i press on it, it opens the konsole immediatel without the need to have a combo key combination like CTRL+ALT+something.

CYREX, Super proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. And to the older forum since 2005
Hans
Administrator
OS
See Bug 165542.

Here's a workaround:
1. Open kmenuedit and browse to Konsole.
2. Under Advanced tab, set a shortcut for Konsole (any valid shortcut). Save.
3. Outside a KDE session, open ~/.kde4/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc (sometimes ~/.kde/...).
4. Find [khotkeys] and the line for Konsole. Change the shortcut (between = and the first ,) to Menu.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
cyrex
Registered Member
OS
Thank you. Just one last question, will this be solved for 4.5.4? Is not like a critical bug but it is one that i actually used about 50 times a day. You do not know how helpful it is to just press that key and have konsole open. ;)

CYREX, Super proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. And to the older forum since 2005
Hans
Administrator
OS
cyrex wrote:You do not know how helpful it is to just press that key and have konsole open. ;)

I do, that's why I have the Menu key binded to Yakuake. ;)

Thank you. Just one last question, will this be solved for 4.5.4? Is not like a critical bug but it is one that i actually used about 50 times a day.

Unfortunately I don't think so since the bug has been around for a while. I wonder how hard this would be to fix; it wasn't a problem in KDE 3.5.x.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts