This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Any way to get Synaptic Package Manager to use KDE4 theme?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
SantaFe
Registered Member
OS
First time poster so I hope I got the right section.

I was just wondering if it was possible to get Synaptic Package Manager to use the theme I'm using in KDE4? I know how to do it in GNOME/Xfce, but can't figure it out in KDE. I'm using QTCurve and most of the apps do use my theme, like Dolphin, kwrite, Firefox, ect. Even Update manager uses it, but Synaptic just keeps that blah grey theme.

It's not a biggie, and if it turns out one can't do it I'll live, it's just bugs me a little. Thanks for reading this! :D

This has been solved! o)

Last edited by SantaFe on Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Is Synaptic run using gksudo / kdesudo? ( ie. as root )

If it is, you need to set the Gtk theme of the root user.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
SantaFe
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Is Synaptic run using gksudo / kdesudo? ( ie. as root )

If it is, you need to set the Gtk theme of the root user.

it's a link in the KDE menu, so I'm assuming so. If I open a terminal & just type Synaptic, it opens themed and of course I get this message: Starting without administrative privileges

You will not be able to apply any changes. But you can still export the marked changes or create a download script for them.

Being used to GNOME & Xfce, I knew how to do it there, just copy the theme folder from .themes to /usr/share/themes. Is there a equivalent method for KDE4 color themes & QTCurve config files and where is it? ;)
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
SantaFe wrote:
Being used to GNOME & Xfce, I knew how to do it there, just copy the theme folder from .themes to /usr/share/themes. Is there a equivalent method for KDE4 color themes & QTCurve config files and where is it? ;)

You can try this (haven't tried with synaptics, but other gtk-apps):

Run system-settings as root like this:

Hit alt-f2
Type kdesu systemsettings and hit enter.
Enter the password.

Now, change color-scheme, qtcurve config values and so on so they match the settings of your regular user-account. The easiest way to do that is probably to just export them first and then import them into the root-equivalent.

Or:

The color-schemes are saved in .kde/share/apps/color-schemes (the ones that are not installed by default that is). Just copy the corresponding file over to /root/.kde/share/apps/color-schemes.

For Qtcurve, just copy the directory .config/qtcurve over to /root.

You still need to run system-settings as root to apply the values though.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
SantaFe
Registered Member
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:You can try this (haven't tried with synaptics, but other gtk-apps):

Run system-settings as root like this:

Hit alt-f2
Type kdesu systemsettings and hit enter.
Enter the password.

Now, change color-scheme, qtcurve config values and so on so they match the settings of your regular user-account. The easiest way to do that is probably to just export them first and then import them into the root-equivalent.

Or:

The color-schemes are saved in .kde/share/apps/color-schemes (the ones that are not installed by default that is). Just copy the corresponding file over to /root/.kde/share/apps/color-schemes.

For Qtcurve, just copy the directory .config/qtcurve over to /root.

You still need to run system-settings as root to apply the values though.

Thanks, the first one worked. Except when I tried kdesu, the systemsettings window opened, but it never asked for the root password. So I used gksudo systemsettings and that worked. ;D