This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Time zone woes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
google01103
Manager

Re: Time zone woes

Thu May 26, 2011 6:38 pm
some settings need KDE to restart for them to take affect

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ememem
Registered Member
OS

Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:16 am
bcooksley wrote:I suggest setting TZ from ~/.kde4/env/ to ensure it is applied to the entire KDE session.

Simply create an executable script file in there, and it will be automatically sourced ( included ) in very early in the KDE startup process.

Running KDE 4.10.5 on FreeBSD 9.2, /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago set in /etc/localtime, have "export TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago" in /usr/local/kde4/env/ in both a .txt and .sh (w/ #!/bin/sh), have applied the fix here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=317999#c11 by moving/renaming zic to zic-bad...

... and still I get no other option than UTC in the KDE Plasma Date/Time app for Time Zones. The analog clock below the time server has the correct time! # date gives me the correct time! The KDM login manager gives the correct time! But, the little clock down at the bottom right of the screen on the task manager will not budge from UTC which is 6 hours ahead of CST ... O.o

I've been looking into this for daaaaayyyysss now, been through http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Clock and every other doc and forum post I can find... on top of digging through every single file in every folder under /usr/local/kde4 and Nada. Nothing. Zip. on how to change (even hard-code) the TZ that actually works. Why? Why the ____ should it be so difficult? It seems that this has been an issue for quite a while now. Do the ppl responsible for this all live in England? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out why this has been an unfixed issue for so long. Please forgive the grittiness in this post but it's kinda driving me nuts :D
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 am
Your system is missing ktimezoned - a component of kde-runtime. Please ensure all components of kde-runtime are installed on your system.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ememem
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:37 am
/usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so exists.
Is that what I'm looking for or something else? Should I reinstall kde4-runtime?
luebking

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:29 pm
run "kcmshell4 kded", check whether the timezone daemon is running (lower field)
Also check where /etc/localtime links (eg. /usr/share/zoneinfo/somthing/something) and whether that location contains many filezone entries.

Can you select a timezone in "kcmshell4 clock" (not sure from your last post)
ememem
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:32 am
No timezone daemon is not running.
/etc/localtime is linked, zones are there.
Can not select a zone in kcmshell4 clock.

Just curious (asking for a friend >.> )... what if all services listed by kcmshell4 kded are not running? That'd be bad no? Any fixes for that?
luebking

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:42 am
> what if all services listed by kcmshell4 kded are not running?
Sounds broken.
Can you ... errrr ... "your friend" ;-) start them? (button on the lower left)
Does "he" start kde via the startkde script?
ememem
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:57 am
Nope. "Unable to start server ktimezoned".
Not sure if the startkde script is run normally. He's just depended on kdm to manage that >.>

===

Update:

Just deinstalled / reinstalled kde4-runtime and kde4-workspace... and nothing changed, at all.
luebking

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:33 pm
the kdm service for the plasma desktop session will usually run startkde, yes.

check whether /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so has unresolved dependencies
Code: Select all
ldd /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so

If yes, that's your problem.
If not, check whether /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/ is actually the ("a") module path:
kde4-config --path module

If yes, run "kdebugdialog --fullmode", filter for kded, redirect all messages to some file (eg. /tmp/kded.dbg), try to start a module and pray that it logs some debug messages about why that fails.
ememem
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:20 am
No unresolved dependencies.

kde4-config --path modules gives two paths... /usr/home/my_friend/.kde4/lib/kde4/:/usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/

I believe those two need flipped around at least and most likely scrutinized a bit more (just a guess since there is no /lib folder in the user tree). Which leads me to wonder why the insertion of a non-existing directory and could it have a/t to do with this https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=241763 ?

Where to go from here?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:28 am
Please use "kdebugdialog" to enable all debug areas and output. Then tail ~/.xsession-errors and run the following command in a separate terminal:
qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule ktimezoned

Is anything relevant output on either terminal?

KDE Sysadmin
ememem
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:00 am
"kdebugdialog" gives:
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

.xsession-errors gives:
KUrl("file:///home/my_friend/.xsession-errors") KUrl("file:///home/my_friend/.xsession-errors")
kded(1372) Kded::loadModule: Could not load library "kded_ktimezoned" . [ "Cannot load library /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so: (Cannot open "/usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so")" ]

"qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule ktimezoned" gives:
false
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:38 am
Please verify your user has read access to /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so along with execute permissions (if required by your OS / security configuration).

KDE Sysadmin
ememem
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:38 pm
%ls -l /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so gives:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 64512 Nov 21 22:29 /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so

Appears that wheel has read and execute permissions.

If this were an issue, say a user not in the wheel group were to startkde and create a ~/.kde4 directory, why would kde not throw a warning to that user that permissions were set so that they had limited access to some portions of kde content? That seems like a no-brainer to me.
luebking

Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:01 pm
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 64512 Nov 21 22:29 /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so
^^^ <- "other"

Does
file /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so

resp.
readelf -s /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kded_ktimezoned.so

suggest it's actually a library (of correct width, ie. 32/64bit)?