This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to use the video switch key for presentations?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zekemx
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I am using Mandriva 2010.2. but I have never been able to use the F1 key in my Dell Studio 1555 to switch video when I connect a projector. The only way is to use systemsettings and enable the VGA port, but to be honest this is annoying and time consuming. This laptop also has an Eject key to eject my CDROM but it also doesn't work unde KDE4.

I added GNOME to Mandriva and the CDROM Eject key works fine, but not the F1 key to switch Video Output.

I also tried UBUNTU with GNOME and both the Eject key and F1 (Video Switch) works great, same as in windows.

To be honest, I would not like to leave KDE4 and Mandriva in favor of Ubuntu.

Are there any plans to add this functions to KDE4?.

Right now I have to options.

1.- Move to Ubuntu.
2.- Assign those two keys to a corresponding script. (I don't know if this is possible or not).

a).Assign F1 key to a script that executes xrandr VGA on
b).Assign the Eject key to a script that executes command eject /mnt/cdrom

Please Help.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You can use System Settings > Shortcuts and Gestures > Custom Shortcuts to have a script invoked for a specified shortcut combination.

I suggest you look at the following for information on changing the active screens via scripts: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=88659&p=162060#p162060

You can use "eject <cd device>" to open your CD drive. On my system, <cd device> is /dev/sr0, however yours may differ. /dev/cdrom should work however, at least it does in openSUSE.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
I wonder if this is a version or a distro issue. I have KDE4.4.4 and when I connect to a projector, my whole screen adjusts to the projector so that everything is horizontally stretched on my laptop but both the projector and the laptop screens show the same content. On earlier versions, there would be a mismatch between the projector and laptop screens and on even earlier versions I had to use the external monitor key on my laptop to make anything happen.

Now everything happens automatically without me having to touch any keys. The only adjustment I have to make afterwards is that the panel width is not restored (everything else is) and I have to restore it manually.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.