This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem: dual-head and ATI

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
RickBosch
Registered Member
OS

Problem: dual-head and ATI

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:12 pm
Well assuming this is my first post, allow me to introduce myself:

My name is Rick.

I registered here in the hope to get some help/answers to my questions and maybe even a potential fix for my problem.

Before reading this I must inform you, I'm new to KDE and X server. So please, be kind if I totally get some things wrong :D

My problem? A dual-head setup with (X server) KDE desktop. I'm currently running OpenBSD with X server and kde working as it should work but i'm not able to get my dual-head setup working.

I'll keep it brief but I think I've spend a month or 2-3 getting this fixed.

I've tried multiple xorg.conf tweaks and did some research but nothing seemed to work. Whenever I add a new monitor section, set a screen in the device section or make a server layout I get 2 black screens. (keep in mind that I've tried nearly every solution I found on google/other websites)

Now, I managed to get it to work perfectly with the xrandr function BUT:

- Whenever I reboot the desktop it goes back to default ( 'cause of the xorg configuration not being adjusted by xrandr??). I've tried adding the xrandr lines in my .xinitrc but it doesn't do anything really (default etc).

Some other usefull info: My GPU: Ati radeon HD4650 (AGP!) / r700(?) driver.
My previous card (a random old agp matrox card) wouldn't even detect my dvi in/output.

I couldn't find any ati drivers. X -configure is also giving me "unknown board name" is this something to be worried about??

So my question!?!:

Do you guys have any clue on why it is not working? And is there anyway to by-pass my xorg.conf by adding the xrandr in a different file and using it by start-up, if so: how¿

Thanks in advance!

Rick

ps. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Problem: dual-head and ATI

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:12 pm
Which version of KDE are you using? 4.5 and 4.6 have improved support for multi-head systems, at least in Plasma, the KDE desktop. You may find it helpful to specify your desired layout in xorg.conf to ensure it is applied. Note that you may need to disable compositing as a result.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
RickBosch
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:34 am
bcooksley wrote:Which version of KDE are you using? 4.5 and 4.6 have improved support for multi-head systems, at least in Plasma, the KDE desktop. You may find it helpful to specify your desired layout in xorg.conf to ensure it is applied. Note that you may need to disable compositing as a result.

I'm using KDE 3.5.x I don't think openbsd supports 4.x KDE.

Currently i'm on my default xorg.conf (X -configure) 'cause xrandr seems to work but not how I want it to work(on reboot stay on res etc).

Below is just one of the xorg's I found and tried. It seemed to work for most people. Be sure to read some things I've added in the quote to let you know what I've tried. It's the bold parts.

Thanks in advance!

Section "Module"
SubSection "extmod"
EndSubSection
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "kbd"
Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Dell"
ModelName "1905FP"
EndSection

Section "Monitor" (Adding a second monitor would give me 2x black screens)
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "Dell"
ModelName "1905FP"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card1"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "Unknown VendorName"
BoardName "Unknown BoardName"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 0 <-- Adding this to device section = black screens
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card1"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "Unknown VendorName"
BoardName "Unknown BoardName"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 1 <---
EndSection

^--- Without 2 devices it also doesn't work, 1 screen black other works on low res

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Card1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

It won't detect my modes I provide in screen section??

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Dual-Monitor"
Screen 0 "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
Screen 1 "Screen1" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:36 am
Unfortunately I don't know much about xorg.conf myself, however you may wish to try switching to a VT (or ssh'ing in from another system) and checking the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if it had any initialisation issues.

KDE Sysadmin
RickBosch
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:53 am
bcooksley wrote:Unfortunately I don't know much about xorg.conf myself, however you may wish to try switching to a VT (or ssh'ing in from another system) and checking the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if it had any initialisation issues.

Could you please explain why ssh'ing could make difference (noobie here :P)

I've already ssh'ed from a different desktop to this one (and sftp) to copy/paste data.

The Xorg.0.log shows me something that might be considered a problem (I have no clue what it does but it does not seem right):

"drm failed to load kernel module "radeon"

^-- I think radeon is suppose to be the driver... I don't have any drivers installed as there are none for Openbsd...

It also says that none of my output's have a monitor section and that the modes I provide couldn't be loaded (vrefresh out of range??)

So how can I specify them in my xorg.conf correctly?

Thanks!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:42 am
Given the failure to load the "DRM" for 'radeon', it is probable that your OpenBSD ATi driver which you have installed has not been installed fully, as the 3D component which runs in Kernel couldn't be loaded.

This in turn could possibly be causing the other issues, however I don't know enough about vertical refresh configuration to help you there.

KDE Sysadmin
RickBosch
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:16 pm
See that's the point.

I was given a CD with the recently bought card. When I insert the CD, I can't find it in KDE... Therefor, no drivers we're installed.

The other day, I had this old 9800 PRO. The card had a broken DVI port in the end, but when I configured the card, it auto-detect radeon as driver??
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:45 pm
Your distribution will likely have better knowledge about the procedures for installing the "radeon" driver on OpenBSD.

KDE Sysadmin