This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE4 Multiple Desktop Displays[Solved]

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Bjorn
Registered Member
OS
Is this really solved?

Running KDE 4.3.2 and it is at least not obvious how to achieve this i.e. different background/activity per virtual desktop. Tried to update plasmarc as suggested earlier in this thread but that didn't solve it.

Any hints?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You need to Zoom out in KDE 4.3, and activate the option there.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Bjorn
Registered Member
OS
Ok,

Deleted .kde after upgrade and it finally works. Just zoom out on the activity and configure plasma.

Good work.
daflame
Registered Member
Even activating the option doesn't seem to work for me. I have KDE 4.3.2 on Kubuntu and I enabled activity per virtual desktop and it still has the same activity on all desktops. Although it looks like it's working in the zoomed out screen (as it seems to generate the activities there), it still uses only the top-left activity on all screens.
daflame
Registered Member
Nevermind, just checked again and it works now. Not sure why is wasn't working the last time I checked.
chandra
Registered Member
I am on Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.3.2 and have been trying to get multiple backgrounds on different virtual desktops but have not been able to.

I have added the lines:

Code: Select all
[General]
perVirtualDesktopViews=true

to my plasmarc file.

bcooksley wrote:You need to Zoom out in KDE 4.3, and activate the option there.

But I still do not know how to zoom in on an activity, as indicated above, and get this feature to work.

Can someone kindly explain or point me to a link that does?

Many thanks.
Hans
Administrator
OS

See Plasma HowTo for more screencasts.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
chandra
Registered Member
Thank you very much. The animated GIFs were most edifying and I have finally got the hang of it :)
bkorb
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for the animated GIF, but it has changed since that was posted. The new and approved method is still non-obvious and different from this posting. :(
chandra
Registered Member
Seeing bkorb's comments I went out and tried to do what the animated GIF suggested in KDE 4.4.5 and found, as noted above, that it is not applicable any more.

Can Hans please post an updated version of the instructions, please?

Many thanks for making the un-obvious obvious.
Spinell
Registered Member
OS
It is in "System Configuration", "Window Behavior", "Virtual Desktop".
Check the Option "Different widgets for each desktop"
chandra
Registered Member
Thank you Spinell. I have followed your steps successfully for this new setup :)