This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE4 Multiple Desktop Displays[Solved]

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mae
Registered Member
Hi there, This have been bothering me for some time.
With KDE3x I was able to select different backgrounds for each desktop.
For some unknown reason I am not able to do the same in KDE4x.

Is it still in development or am I missing something.:-S

Last edited by mae on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.

JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS

RE: KDE4 Multiple Desktop Displays

Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:21 pm
It's on the feature plan.
ActivityVirtual Desktop Affinity and Optional Per-Virtual Desktop DesktopView will allow us to, in effect place different wallpapers and different widgets on different virtual desktops.

I don't know if it actually will get in to 4.2 though... I hope it does.

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
mae
Registered Member

Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:27 pm
Thank you for the quick response.
I also hope it does, in the meantime I'll sleep better knowing that I didn't break something [again]:-)

craigg4c
Registered Member
I certainly hope you enable this feature for kde4 -- otherwise I, who have been building the latest KDE since the 0.99 betas of a decade ago, will have to reluctantly conclude that you-all have followed the Enlightenment path of teeny-bopper l33t k3wlth and eye-candy overcoming actual adult ergonomics.

I am still at an utter loss to understand your decision to start over as opposed to converting the latest stable version of all KDE code to QT4, THEN adding cool new features. This would never have left you with any "official release" that simply didn't work -- as seems to be the case now.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:20 pm
JontheEchinda wrote:I don't know if it actually will get in to 4.2 though... I hope it does.

Well, the different-wallpapers-for-different activities already work (in 4.1.72 at least, maybe earlier). Different ones for different virtual desktops do not work yet though.

I only hope they add something along the lines of "Apply wallpaper to all activities and/or desktops" since I find it distracting to have different ones. The same applies to plasmoids for that matter...if I want say a weather plasmoid to always be present, I have to add it to all activities I have defined. Most of the time I want the plasmoids to be different for the different activities (which is rather the point of the activities) but some would be nice to be able to set once and be done with it.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
Different wallpapers for different activities works in KDE 4.1 :P

In KDE 4.1.80 you can set some sort of value in plasmarc that will make each virtual desktop have a different activity. (I don't remember the config entry exactly but I have used it...) I am very happy. :]

Last edited by JontheEchinda on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
JontheEchinda wrote:Different wallpapers for different activities works in KDE 4.1 :P

It does? You learn something new everyday :) But I have to admit that I'm not all that comfortable using the activities in 4.1. It feels kinda awkward...the activities plasmoid in 4.2 changed that for me.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
JontheEchinda wrote:Different wallpapers for different activities works in KDE 4.1 :P

In KDE 4.1.80 you can set some sort of value in plasmarc that will make each virtual desktop have a different activity. (I don't remember the config entry exactly but I have used it...) I am very happy. :]

The entry in plasmarc is
Code: Select all
[General]
perVirtualDesktopViews=true

i guess.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
Yeah, that's it.

claydoh
Registered Member
OS
craigg4c wrote:I certainly hope you enable this feature for kde4 -- otherwise I, who have been building the latest KDE since the 0.99 betas of a decade ago, will have to reluctantly conclude that you-all have followed the Enlightenment path of teeny-bopper l33t k3wlth and eye-candy overcoming actual adult ergonomics.

Didn't people more or less say similar things about KDE3.0 during the transition from 2.2? Haven't all the flamewars over the years against KDE involved the issue of 'eye candy'? As an non-l33t astigmatic 42 year old, I do like some effects and prettiness in my desktop.

Today I hear comparisons of KDE 4 to Vista, back in its day KDE3 was compared to XP ;-). hopefully, the comparisons will be reversed one day (windows 7 screenshots, anyone? :) )

Last edited by claydoh on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
daflame
Registered Member
neverendingo wrote:

The entry in plasmarc is
Code: Select all
[General]
perVirtualDesktopViews=true

i guess.

You wouldn't happen to know how to get the other three desktops to show something other than a blank white screen would you?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Due to the experimental nature of this feature, there is probably no way currently. I am not sure, but I think it might be heavily improved for KDE 4.3.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
daflame
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Due to the experimental nature of this feature, there is probably no way currently. I am not sure, but I think it might be heavily improved for KDE 4.3.

I have searched for many hours on the forums, Google and KDE sites already with dead ends and no definite answers. This old posting was the closest that I found. Also, I am aware of the codes of conduct as I have been working with Linux for over 6 years and head the Ubuntu freenx packaging team with Marcello. I do apologize for reviving an old dead ended post, but I was hopeful for an answer.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
No problem. Unless a thread is solved, new replies are welcome.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ace4cia
Registered Member
OS
well actually windows 7 is more like kde 4 there will be no sidebar in windows 7 and gadgets will be poured on ur desktop (wanna be kde 4 ^^)