This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Applications images are not shown

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hermes14
Registered Member
OS

Applications images are not shown

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:37 pm
Since a few days (the last upgrade, IIRC) kde apps show only a placeholder instead of the images. As an example, look at this konqueror screenshot (detail):

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4981/schermata1.jpg

The same goes for kmail message headers (attachment icons) and bodies, as well as akregator articles. Icons are shown correctly.
It looks like a webkit problem, but I'm stuck on how to solve it. Does anybody have a hint?

Thanks
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please try removing /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/kpc outside of KDE.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
hermes14
Registered Member
OS
It didn't work.
Anyway, I was in a hurry, so I just created a blank kde configuration.

Thanks
revjdc
Registered Member
I can somewhat confirm this behavior. I'm running KDE SC 4.5.5 with 32-bit Fedora 14 on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.

I've tried removing both the cache and the .kde directory. I've confirmed that the icons are present in the correct folders.

However, this has not happened with the same software on my home laptop, a Toshipa Satellite, nor my old "clunker" HP desktop. The same install disc was used on all three computers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

revjdc, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
revjdc
Registered Member
I tried deleting the directories again, both the /var/tmp cache and the $HOME/.kde directory. Things are working fine now.

I think the problem may have been with the cache symlink in $HOME/.kde rather than the actual cache itself.

But, since all is well, I have no way to check it out. ;D

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful product and a good support system!

revjdc
Registered Member
So much for thining I had it fixed. After clearing the Konqueror cache (from the Settings menu), I have the same behavior on all my computers.

Deleting the /var/tmp files and the symlinks has not fixed the problem.

More importantly, KMail is missing the "expand" icons for attachements and email addresses. Looks like bug report time.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Are you sure you have not changed Konqueror's behaviour to not download images on your systems by mistake?

Konqueror > Settings > Configure Konqueror > Web Browsing > Appearance. Ensure "Automatically load images" is checked.

KDE Sysadmin
revjdc
Registered Member
The "download images" box is checked.

But we're not talking about web site icons/favicons. We're talking about the four icons on Konqueror's Introduction page (Home folder, trash, network, bookmarks) and the quicklist arrow icons for KMail's to: and attachement headers.

If the cache is cleared, those icons never reappear, even though they are in the appropriate places on the hard drive. To me, having those icons read out of the cache rather than from their files is a bad idea.

These are hardly major usability issues for a veteran, but for a newbie they could send one running to another desktop environment.

Workarounds in Konqueror: none needed. The text and links are still present on the Intro page.

Workaround in KMail: change header view from "Fancy" to "Standard", removing the need for the quicklist arrows.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Applications images are not shown

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 am
These problems, should in theory not exist, and be impossible. To rule out damaged configuration files, please try under a new user. Which distribution are you using?

KDE Sysadmin
revjdc
Registered Member
I'm running Fedora 14 with updates (currently at KDE SC 4.5.5)

And so far I have not been able to duplicate the behavior with a new user.

So which config files should I be checking?

Thanks!

TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Which html backend are you using in konqueror? Is it the same as the one a new user runs?

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The files "kdeglobals" and "konquerorrc" are probably the most relevant in this case.

KDE Sysadmin