This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE 4.6 issues with task manager in panel. (blue outline?)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MurdersLastCrow
Registered Member
OS
4.6 is a great release for the most part, but I've run into some issues. However, there is one major problem that probably won't stop bothering me until I get it fixed.

In the Tast Manager widget in the panel, whenever I mouse over, click on, or have a waiting message in a program, a rectangular area around the button for that window fades to a deep blue momentarily. I can see it persistently if I hold the mouse button down on a window button.

I don't remember this happening, and as it's generalized to all of my plasma themes, even when blue would clash it still happens, and it takes up the same rectangular space, so it doesn't fit to the actual button. I've been sifting through as many options as I can find, but there doesn't appear to be a setting to turn it off (in the GUI, at least).

Anyone know how to disable this, and if it's actually a new feature or just some weird bug? Thank you very much for your responses. I really like everything else about 4.6. @_@
Hans
Administrator
OS
Can you please post a screenshot?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
MurdersLastCrow
Registered Member
OS
http://i56.tinypic.com/2m80g9h.png

If you zoom in, you can see that it goes outside of the borders on every end, and vertically it goes all the way across the panel. I can resize the panel if it makes it any easier to see. On darker themes or non-blue backgrounds, it's EXTREMELY obvious.
MurdersLastCrow
Registered Member
OS
All recent updates and the issue still persists. I'm going to test KDE 4.6 out on another computer to see if this isn't just an issue with my graphics driver or something.
MurdersLastCrow
Registered Member
OS
This issue seems to be consistent on all of my Arch installations, perhaps because they all use open drivers (no supported closed drivers are available for my cards). I'm supposing it's not a feature, as I don't see anyone speaking up about it, and it would be an odd time to add something unduly distracting like that to an environment that focuses so much on design.
google01103
Manager
if you turn off effects?

if you change theme?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Is that smooth tasks? It doesn't look like the task manager on my system.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
MurdersLastCrow
Registered Member
OS
Well, Google01103, that's what I thought, since I did have some Kwin bugs that I thought might be carrying over to the panel. So I turned off the effects, and it persists. Then I thought the devs probably thought blue highlighting was a good idea for some baffling reason, so I tried as many different workspace themes as I could and every variant has the same issue, regardless of effects being on or off.

Also, no Smooth-Tasks. Not only do I dislike how it handles thumbnails and management, but I figured it'd be best to keep everything vanilla for diagnosing issues. And, well, I like the defaults most of the time these days. :D

Sorry to say that I've done most of the obvious diagnostics, so this likely won't be very easy to fix. I suppose I should be asking if there's a plasma configuration file where this might be a setting I could flip on and off, since that's all I can think of outside of doing some insane debugging and getting very familiar with plasma, in which case I might as well be submitting bug fixes.

P.S. This video card doesn't support blurring, so that might be why the task manager looks different.