This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Changing KDE 4.6 task manager

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lin-unix
Registered Member
OS

Changing KDE 4.6 task manager

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 am
Is there a way to get the KDE 4.6 task manager to look like the 4.5 task manager?

4.5 task manager:
http://oi52.tinypic.com/1zgqbmq.jpg

4.6 task manager:
http://i55.tinypic.com/4kk39g.jpg

The 4.6 task manager is more rounded and depressed, which is what I don't like :(
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Changing KDE 4.6 task manager

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 am
The task manager appearance is controlled by the Plasma theme I believe, so you could try copying the full Plasma theme from a 4.5 system, and putting that in place, in your ~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma/themes/ folder.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Hans
Administrator
OS

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:09 am
Or simply switch to the default Air theme in System Settings -> Workspace Appearcance -> Desktop Theme -> Air.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
lin-unix
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:39 pm
Or simply switch to the default Air theme in System Settings -> Workspace Appearcance -> Desktop Theme -> Air.

Unfortunately, I am using the default Air theme :(

The task manager appearance is controlled by the Plasma theme I believe, so you could try copying the full Plasma theme from a 4.5 system, and putting that in place, in your ~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma/themes/ folder.

That I could do, but I prefer to use the updated theme. I like to keep everything on the same release/version/whatever. If this is new task manager look and feel, I can accept it.)
Hans
Administrator
OS

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:18 pm
That's strange, even with a dark background I can't manage to make my panel so dark with Air. Maybe it's because you use? But indeed, it seems like the Air theme has changed somewhat in 4.6.

Well if you change your mind, you should be able to find an old version of Air on kde-look.org.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
lin-unix
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:58 pm
My apologies, I should have said earlier that it's not the darkness, it's the depressed/indented look of the square bars that represent opened/minimized programs. I can't remember what they are called... Taskbar buttons in Windows, so maybe Panel buttons in KDE??
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:29 pm
I think they are just called "tasks", with the widget being the task manager widget.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Hans
Administrator
OS

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 pm
Ah, now I understand - I usually call those "taskbar entries/items". I thought you meant depressed = depressing = dark. :P

The answer is still the same though, if you want to change the looks you have to change the desktop theme. Note that you can change the look for individual elements under the "Details" tab, such as for the task items.