This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Icon spacing on Desktop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mwoletz
Registered Member
OS

Icon spacing on Desktop

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:09 pm
Hi,

I've a problem with KDE 4.4.4: I want to enlarge the grid spacing / icon text width on the desktop. The only way I've found to increase the icon text width is to enlarge the icon size. But this results in an horrible looking desktop. Where can I adjust the text width without changing the icon size? In older KDE-Versions you could change the text width in the desktop settings, but it seems that this option has gone.

Every answer is appreciated.

bye

Marcus
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Icon spacing on Desktop

Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:55 am
At least in KDE Trunk/4.6 this is available. See Folder View Settings > Display > Size. You can access Folder View Settings by right clicking on any empty area of your desktop.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:27 pm
I can confirm that this is in 4.4.4

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
mwoletz
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:07 pm
John, what can you confirm? That setting text width in 4.4.4 is possible or is _not_ possible?

I feel that it is very annoying if this basic feature is missing. Another new very useful and pleasant feature would be to split, if other constraints allow this, lines on words and not anywhere inside words.

As I have many years of programming experience in other fields I just took a short look at the KDE sources to locate the place where icon placing and text setting/line break is done. But I have not found the right source file. I will try it one more time to find where these things are done and how they can be changed.

Should not be taken more efforts to make a stable, pleasant and functional basic desktop rather than eye catching desktop effects. I really like Desktop Linux, but when comparing KDE with Win 7 I must say that there are some details in display in Win 7 that make it look more professional, more pleasant.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:48 pm
Changing the icon size is likely possible in KDE 4.4 and later. However changing the icon spacing itself is not possible, even in KDE Trunk. The size of the spacing is likely determined by the layout applied to the Folder View. Please consult the Qt documentation for more information concerning Qt layouting.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]