This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

per account notification sound failure.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pelliott
Registered Member
OS
On accounts that have existed since first installation, No sound occurs on notification. No kde startup sound. System Settings/applications and system notifications/Manage notifications/ "play a sound" test button results in no sounds.

On these same accounts that fail: amarok works. paplay works. System Settings/Multimedia/Phonon/Test works!

However, if I create a new account, then all sound works including notifications and system startup for that new account!

So it has to be in per account System Settings or in some of the wierd file in the ~/.local or ~/.config trees.

But which? How do I fix these accounts?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Which Phonon backend do you use currently? Try changing between two backends to see if anything is affected. Also, try removing the sound hardware cache, located at /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/libphonon/hardwaredatabase

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
pelliott
Registered Member
OS
No effect removing that file.
I have tried both Gstreamer and Xine same result.
also tried changing out ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc

No effect.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Does removing all ~/.kde4/share/config/*.notifyrc and ~/.kde4/share/config/phonondevicesrc files have any effect?

KDE Sysadmin
pelliott
Registered Member
OS
removeing these files did not help.

~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc
~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Did you remove any files ending with .notifyrc as well from ~/.kde4/share/config?
Also, ensure you restart knotify after making these changes.

Code: Select all
kquitapp knotify

KDE Sysadmin
pelliott
Registered Member
OS
>Did you remove any files ending with .notifyrc as well from ~/.kde4/share/config?
>Also, ensure you restart knotify after making these changes.

There were no such files. I restarted it by logging off and loging on again.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try removing the Phonon configuration, which will cause it to be rebuilt. Ensure that no KDE processes are running when this is done.
Code: Select all
rm $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/phonondevicesrc

KDE Sysadmin
pelliott
Registered Member
OS
I fixed it. gave myself the audio, pulse, and pulse-access groups. Then ran applications/multi-media/Volume control/Playback/ and increased the system sound slider! Sound works now!
pelliott
Registered Member
OS
Is there a notification sound you can have play every time plasma brings up a new application?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Open System Settings > Common Appearance & Behaviour > Application and System Notifications > Manage Notifications. Change the Event source dropdown to "KWin Window Manager". Both "New Window" and "Window Unminimize" notifications are available, you simply have to enable them and assign them notification sounds.

KDE Sysadmin