This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Allow to install desktop theme from file

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ravi.xolve
Registered Member
OS
In the system settings the place (systemsettings -> workspace appearance -> desktop theme) where we can change the desktop (or plasma) theme, there is an option to install new themes over the web using "Get new themes", but there is no option to install theme from the file. This option was present earlier.

This is a bit of problem because sometimes the Internet connection is not available and I may want to install theme from some other source.

Last edited by ravi.xolve on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozjd
Registered Member
OS
You can copy the theme to ~/.kde/share/apps/desktoptheme/.
They usually come as archive so just extract them there in a directory named after the theme.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Sounds like a regression to me, or it might have been intentionally removed. Any way I would file a bug report at https://bugs.kde.org/ if it hasn't been filed before.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You can use the command line tool "plasmapkg" to install appropriately formatted zip files containing either Plasma themes or applets as a further workaround which is safer.
Code: Select all
plasmapkg -i /path/to/plasma/theme.zip

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]