This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Regular mystery icon in System Tray.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
goto's leap
Registered Member
OS

Regular mystery icon in System Tray.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:50 pm
Hello. This is my first post to the forum. Sorry if it's in the wrong section.

Linux Mint 10 KDE (4.6), Amd64, nVidia 270.18 driver.

Every few minutes a mystery icon appears in the system tray for about a second. Once it stayed longer, so I right clicked it with no (or no useful) efect. So I left clicked it and Plasma crashed. I don't have any debugging stuff installed, so didn't get a backtrace. I sat waiting for it - pointer poised over Ksnapshot's Take a new snapshot and managed to get a picture:

It's the one between Artha and Kpackagekit icons. I previewed the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications, but couldn't see a match. If anyone recognises it, it would be a clue.

I've been trying to get kpackagekit to notify me that updates are available in a notifier popup rather than put its icon in the tray. The mystery icon probably started appearing after my dabbling with settings. Update notifications worked great in KDE4.5 and the (what I think was Kpackagekit) widget used to do its stuff and then say "Finished in 2 seconds." This new version seems different. I currently have settings like this:

I stopped Mint's updater and installed kpackagekit (0.6.3.3-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1) to get this far.

I've been enjoying the K desktop environment for many years. Mostly on Mint, and I'm looking forward to asking, and maybe even answering, some questions here. IIRC I used KDE on FreeBSD before I had even tried any Linux flavour. I miss it a bit. Sorry, thinking out loud here...
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
I'm not sure, but if it's the icon I think you're refering to (third one from the left, looking like a box) it looks like the icon for an archiving-program say Ark or Fileroller. I don't know why it would be in the systray (at least not Ark since, AFAIK, have no option of running there only) but I would check if there is some sort of (un)archiver in your process-list (ctrl-esc) as a first port of call.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
google01103
Manager
I wonder if it might be packagekit related as the box with the top taped looks to be a package icon similar to those use by kpackagekit

see http://www.packagekit.org/img/kpk-search.png

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

goto's leap
Registered Member
OS
Yes it's packagekit related. If I stop the service the icon doesn't re-appear. After re-starting the service, it doesn't seem to start re-appearing for a while (it's hard to be exact). I tried disabling 'Notify when updates are available' in KpackageKit settings, which made no difference. I also tried enabling loging for every notifiable packagekit event, but nothing was added to the log.

Should the notification settings I have make packagekit notify with popups? It always did in KDE4.5. Can "Notify" still mean - put an icon in the system tray?

Thanks for the replies.
google01103
Manager
as kpackagekit isn't a KDE SC app (iirc) you might consider posting on the packagekit irc channel, mailing list http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/li ... packagekit or their bug system http://www.packagekit.org/pk-bugs.html, as best as I can tell there's no official forum.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

nerdy_kid
Registered Member
OS
that icon is kpackagekit's status notifier if I remember right (I dropped kpackagekit for muon), in the screenshot it is at the "updating database" stage. That would be the update notifier I _think_. I dont think you can disable it.