This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

(Solved)change root apps theme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
off220
Registered Member

(Solved)change root apps theme

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:26 am
hello. I'd like to change the theme and icons for apps that i run with sudo or su.(e.g. kdesu dolphin uses standard theme). I am able to change it by running kdesu systemsettings or sudo systemsettings. But the theme is half-applied. here are the screenshots
1.Image
2.Image
you see on the 1st scrnshot the theme is oxygen, though qtcurve is selected
on the 2nd scrnshot you see the scrollbars from qtcurve but the selected item on the left is oxygen and the buttons are oxygen.
seems like something is messed up. how to fix this?

Last edited by off220 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
google01103
Manager

Re: change root apps theme

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:40 pm
I've found that using different colors and fonts for me to visually differentiate kdesu'ed apps.

Changing icons works correctly

Could be that not all customizations are changeable, meaning the window decorations and such are controlled by the users selection no matter what is set for the kdesu'ed app.

Why are there no window decorations? buttons, title bar .......

I've also noted that it helps to use the same gtk theme else the colors don't change running gtk apps as root.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

off220
Registered Member

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm
yea, icons are changed correctly. there are no win.decorations cuz the screenshot tool somehow didn't include them. the problem is that the scrollbar is from qtcurve theme and everything else is from oxygen. kinda mixture..
annew
Manager
OS

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:33 pm
I simply change the text colour to a deep but bright blue for root (start systemsettings with sudo, to do it). I find that enough to remind me.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:47 pm
Looking at your screenshot, it looks like the preview area is the only thing using QtCurve, while everything else is using Oxygen.

This may be a factor of the difference between 'su' and 'su -' (or sudo's -i ?). Without the '-', only the root privileges are granted but not all root settings applied; with the '-' all root settings are read and used.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
google01103
Manager

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:52 pm
scroll bars are set in style, what is it set for your account and for root?

re: no decorations in the pics - what do you use for snapshots? if Ksnapshot are you using "section of window? try changing to "window under cursor"

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

off220
Registered Member

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:57 pm
for my account i set up qtcurve, then exported settings and tried to apply them to root account. I tried different ones, even standard qtcurve presets. still the same. yea, it was selected "section of window" in Ksnapshot ;)
I shall try now su -..
P.S. no luck.
i get this in console trying to apply qtcurve settings

Application asked to unregister timer 0x6d000006 which is not registered in this thread. Fix application.
off220
Registered Member

Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:37 am
running kdesu qtconfig and selecting qtcurve style solves this issue.