This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ghost images on KDE

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pacoes
Registered Member
OS

ghost images on KDE

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:54 pm
Hello,

I'm suffering a new problem with Kde & Chrome. When loading some pages, a ghost image remains in somewhere, not visible in the root window but in in the applications one, over white backgrounds only. Maybe it happens with flash elements, but I haven't evidences enought to confirm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacoes/5506419291/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacoes/5507016586/

Effect doesn't appear with ksnapshoot, so I include camera pictures

System is OpenSUSE 11.2; Dell Precision 6400 with Nvidia Quadro FX2700M (Nvidia drivers)

¿Any idea?
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: ghost images on KDE

Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 pm
Can you please upload the pictures somewhere where I don't have to sign in?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
pacoes
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:23 pm
google01103
Manager

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:49 pm
only app affected is Chrome? all or only certain web sites?
what if you open chrome in Konsole with --disable-extensions

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

mrlinux
Registered Member

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:46 pm
Same story here. Using opensuse 11.4 with firefox version 4.0b12. Appears to be flash coming through to the application window and the flash appears to be actually running so its not just and image coming through to the application window! Most annoying reading my email using kontact/kmail.
google01103
Manager

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:52 pm
mrlinux this happened went you went to 11.4 and it came with FF 4.0b? were you running FF 4.0b previous to 11.4?

what version of Flash?

Only happens when FF is open and Flash is running?

Does it go away if you turn off composting?

mrlinux
Registered Member

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:57 pm
The version of adobe flash is 10.2.152.27. Only started happening when upgrading to 11.4. Looks to be isolated to running flash. What is composting?
google01103
Manager

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:06 pm
composting is the desktop effects like bluring, transparency, window animations and widow switching animations

systemsettings -> workspace appearance and behavior -> desktop effects -> uncheck "enable desktop effects"

does it happen when you run Flash in Konqueror or other browsers?

mrlinux
Registered Member

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Turned off the desktop affects and using firefox with flash the problem hasn't resurfaced yet. Let me live for a day or two to see if the problem has been resolved.
google01103
Manager

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:45 pm
mrlinux wrote:Turned off the desktop affects and using firefox with flash the problem hasn't resurfaced yet. Let me live for a day or two to see if the problem has been resolved.

If it's gone away you'll need to figure which effect is causing it, maybe change your desktop theme to one that is transparent (just a guess)

r_mano
Registered Member
OS
Hi -
I will not mark this solved until I can confirm this thing more, but people that have this problem, try to set VSync in System Settings -> Desktop effects -> Advanced tab -> Use VSync.

It seems that the problem is at least much better here (especially VirtualBox became usable, and it had a lot of ghosting effect). I have not seen ghost effects since then, but hey, it's just a test, so I cannot be sure.

I tried this because there was a thread with a similar problem in Unity with Intel cards, and was almost solved by some magic VSYNC env variable.

Hope this helps,
Romano

(Post script: ok, ghosts are not gone completely, sometime in VirtualBox I have ghost images that disappear with a focus/unfocus or a raise event. But it's on another order of magnitude...)

Romano --- from Italy to Spain, with Linux since 1989, left fvwm2 for gnome, exploring KDE