This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE newbie: gnome application in kde looking bad?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
r_mano
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
first of all a bit of presentation. I am a KDE newbie, but I am using Linux since 1989 (yes, I put the number correctly in). I read about the new path of Gnome3, and hating the "no customization" trend, I decided to give a try to KDE plasma. I have ubuntu 10.10 installed, with kde-backport ppa added (to have the last digiKam version installed), and added the kubuntu-desktop packages. So far so well, and I like a lot the KDE Plasma desktop.

The only two problem I have are:

firstly, I am unable to make gtk applications (the few I want to use) looking nice. I tried all the tricks and suggestions in
the threads: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27873 and viewtopic.php?f=202&t=92199&start=15 without success.

The aspect of, for example, gedit (just as an example) is the following, whatever the setting of gtk appearance...

The other problem I suppose is a problem with accelerated graphics, in the sense that sometime I have ghost images in windows (backgrounds are not cleared, and I have to shade-unshade them to have the correct graphics in). But I had not had time to dig more into this...

Romano --- from Italy to Spain, with Linux since 1989, left fvwm2 for gnome, exploring KDE
google01103
Manager
confused by what you mean with "aspect of", you mean window dimensions?

ghosting - what graphics card and drivers?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

r_mano
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:confused by what you mean with "aspect of", you mean window dimensions?

I mean the theme and appearance. I tried various gtk themes, but all the gnome applications results as in the screenshot, "boxy" and squared. I doesn't matter if I choose ambiance or qtcurve or whatever, the appearance of the gnome applications is still the same.

google01103 wrote:ghosting - what graphics card and drivers?

xorg-server 2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.3, intel_drv 2.12.0, Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) 945GM. I use the OpenGL drivers in the configuration of desktop effects. I just tested Gimp, but it seems that with no effect, no problem arise (but it's a pity..)

Romano --- from Italy to Spain, with Linux since 1989, left fvwm2 for gnome, exploring KDE
Hans
Administrator
OS
Do you have a file named .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 or .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory? Can you post its content?

I wrote a longer post at first but then realized something strange - Your screenshot says "GTK+ Styles" while my module is for "GTK Styles" (it also looks different). Here the package is called gtk-qt-engine, but it seems like Kubuntu named it gtk2-engines-gtk-qt - is this what you've installed?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
r_mano
Registered Member
OS
(Sorry for the delay --- I am in and out home today :-) )

Hans wrote:Do you have a file named .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 or .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory? Can you post its content?

Yes, I have; removing it and choosing another style makes it reappear:
Code: Select all
# This file was written by KDE
# You can edit it in the KDE control center, under "GTK Styles and Fonts"

include "/usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
        font_name="Ubuntu"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-theme-name="QtCurve"
gtk-font-name="Ubuntu 9"

Hans wrote:I wrote a longer post at first but then realized something strange - Your screenshot says "GTK+ Styles" while my module is for "GTK Styles" (it also looks different). Here the package is called gtk-qt-engine, but it seems like Kubuntu named it gtk2-engines-gtk-qt - is this what you've installed?

(0)rukbat:~/tmp% wajig versions | grep engine | grep gtk
gtk2-engines/maverick uptodate 1:2.20.1-1ubuntu1
gtk2-engines-murrine/maverick uptodate 0.98.1.1-0ubuntu1
gtk2-engines-pixbuf/maverick uptodate 2.22.0-0ubuntu1
gtk2-engines-qtcurve/maverick uptodate 1.5.2-1ubuntu3

Hans
Administrator
OS
Try to copy .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 to .gtkrc-2.0 (I did a quick search and this was suggested in some threads).

Also, are you using 4.6? There's now a GTK theme that looks like the default style in KDE Applications, Oxygen: http://hugo-kde.blogspot.com/2010/11/oxygen-gtk.html

As an example, here's my .gtkrc-2.0-kde4:
# This file was written by KDE
# You can edit it in the KDE control center, under "GTK Styles and Fonts"

include "/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
include "/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
   font_name="DejaVu Sans"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-theme-name="oxygen-gtk"
gtk-font-name="DejaVu Sans 8"

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
r_mano
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:Try to copy .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 to .gtkrc-2.0 (I did a quick search and this was suggested in some threads).

Wow. That *worked*. I did a
ln -s .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 .gtkrc-2.0

...and now I can change the themes of gnome applications and they looks great.
Thank you very much.

PD for the redraw ("ghost") problem, I will research some more, and if it continue and I can find a way to reproduce it reliably, I will post a new thread.

Hans
Administrator
OS
Thanks for writing what worked and marking the topic as solved. :)

I wonder why it's like that though - I don't have a .gtkrc-2.0 and it works for me. Is it a Kubuntu-specific bug? My initial guess is that it doesn't "load" the specific config file. On my system the System Settings module, I assume, added a gtk-qt-engine.rc.sh script in ~/.kde4/env/ with the following content:
#!/bin/bash

# Make sure our customised gtkrc file is loaded.
export GTK2_RC_FILES=/home/hans/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4

and made it run on startup (System Settings -> System Administration -> Startup and Shutdown -> Autostart).

Anyway, it's nice that it's fixed now.

r_mano
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:
I wonder why it's like that though - I don't have a .gtkrc-2.0 and it works for me. Is it a Kubuntu-specific bug? My initial guess is that it doesn't "load" the specific config file. On my system the System Settings module, I assume, added a gtk-qt-engine.rc.sh script in ~/.kde4/env/ with the following content: [snip]

I have that directory empty. I will try to double check it when I can.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It has been found before that if that directory doesn't exist, then the needed file is not created. Also, one distribution had a problem where it erased the environment file generated at some point in the login process.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
r_mano
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:It has been found before that if that directory doesn't exist, then the needed file is not created. Also, one distribution had a problem where it erased the environment file generated at some point in the login process.

I am pretty sure the directory did exist before (creating it by hand was one of the suggestion I picked up from the forum). I will try to see if creating by hand the file it gets deleted, when I will have time to play with it again (I have time just on weekends, unfortunately...)

Thanks anyway, I am starting liking KDE (There are a bit of interaction problem in my focus-follow-mouse setup, but I will report them, again, in the weekend).

Romano

std74769
Registered Member
OS
Hello!

I just installed KDE and I love it very much! Only one little thing as in this topic, some applications do not inherit the style setting and appear quite vague. Firefox and Thunderbird are mostly affected.

I read the instructions of this topic but I do not have the files in the home directory... I installed kde from Natty...

Can anyone help? I also read that in system settings there should be a box to mark to use style setings for all applications, but I could not find it. I use KDE 4.6

Any help apreciated, thank you!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The Oxygen Gtk theme can greatly improve the appearance of Gtk applications when using the Oxygen style in KDE.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
std74769
Registered Member
OS
After having spent days I found the solution finally.

It is common place for me NOW that KDE and Kubuntu are the same, and not the same. If someone wants to install KDE on a working Ubuntu (Natty, Maverick, etc.) all they have to do is to install it like this: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

All will work perfect, all applications.

I first tried to install the kde-full package, which makes only half of the job and is a pain.

If the Desktop/Netbook full does not work because of missing fglrx/nvidia drivers, try the only desktop full.
Success!