This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Color settings for windows

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Freddy.B
Registered Member
OS

Color settings for windows

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 pm
Hello,
I set the Oxygen theme on my system and set Obsidian coast window color settings to match. Everything is nice and dark and works. But what bothers me a little is that in my browser (Firefox), the dark colors don't look good on buttons, checkboxes etc. So I wondered if it's possible to have a different window color setting for Firefox only. I tried to search a bit, but didn't come across anything relevant. So is it somehow possible?
google01103
Manager

Re: Color settings for windows

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:59 pm
within FireFox you can change it's theme - does that help? see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/themes/

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Freddy.B
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:26 pm
It doesn't, the checkboxes, buttons etc. just use the system colors, not the colors of the FF theme. Maybe I put it in a wrong way. I dont mean the navigation buttons at the top, I mean buttons and checkoboxes on web pages (I think all of these generated by javascipt).

This is what I mean. Its very dark grey because of the window color settings.
google01103
Manager

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:42 pm
In Opera there's css styles, maybe similar for FF see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html as a start

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Freddy.B
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:08 pm
That helped by kicking me into the right direction. I found some ways to make this work... kind of... What I was wondering from the beginning is if it's possible to really set a different color scheme for just one application...
thomassisson
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:43 pm
You can check http://mozillazine.org for resources on how to implement or override system settings and theme integration in Mozilla project programs like Firefox. You may need to change settings in the configuration editor if the option is unavailable in preferences.
pagoda
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 am
Freddy.B wrote:It doesn't, the checkboxes, buttons etc. just use the system colors, not the colors of the FF theme. Maybe I put it in a wrong way. I dont mean the navigation buttons at the top, I mean buttons and checkoboxes on web pages (I think all of these generated by javascipt).

This is what I mean. Its very dark grey because of the window color settings.

This is one anomoly that continues to baffle me. But I believe it is ultimately due to web page design not adhering to W3C design guidelines 100% or including settings for EVERY included element. Now I could be wrong here, but your disatisfaction with checkboxes and button background colors is an example of Firefox actually implementing what you asked for, Obsidian Coast colors in actual fact. Following on, if the Obsidian Coast 'View background' setting is #201F1F, why is the background of the example web-pic you posted above white, and the text black? Answer.... Perhaps the folks here at the forums have hardcoded both the text and background colors of this website, more or less I presume to maintain some indentity theming and recognition consistency. As I write this with my customised color theme that contains no blue whatsoever set in Kubuntu, I ask why the submit button below is "oxygen-blue". And again I say the answer is the color is hardcoded, only this time by Firefox itself. With everyone wanting to do their "own thing" it is the visual equivalent of Continental Tyres manufacturing red tyres and Dunlop choosing blue. Neither look good on the AMG Mercedes range of cars IMO.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 am
The Forum style hardcodes most of the colours to ensure consistency of presentation across browsers.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
pagoda
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:05 pm
Thank you for the confirmation bcooksley. Which I think as a practice is fine if done properly, as in all page elements are set-defined.