This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transparent desktop?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
saphyn
Registered Member
OS

Transparent desktop?

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:50 pm
Is there a way to make KDE desktop completely transparent? As in, no colour, no wallpaper image, just blank?
google01103
Manager

Re: Transparent desktop?

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:52 pm
have you tried th naked theme? http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Na ... tent=93331 there's also a bare naked version available and seamless http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Na ... tent=93331

as the wallpaper is not part of the theme just remove it in desktop settings

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

saphyn
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:14 pm
Sorry if I wasn't specific enough, I'll try to explain further.

I run Compiz with Desktop Cube + Skydome. What I want to do is remove, I guess, the 'main desktop' background? Colour, images, I don't want 'wallpaper' in general. Maybe there's another name for it that I don't know?

Either way, I want to make my desktop 'background' completely transparent.

I'm still not sure what the word I'm looking for is.

Basically I want the only background I have to be coming from Skydome.
google01103
Manager

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 pm
Compiz is not a part of KDE you'd be better off posting in their forum

saphyn
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:24 pm
The issue isn't with Compiz, it's with KDE. I'm trying to disable or make transparent the KDE desktop background so I can use Skydome as a replacement of sorts, since obviously I don't need two images or a fuzzy colour over an image I'm using as wallpaper.

Am I still not being clear enough?
google01103
Manager

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:36 pm
since "The skydome is an optional background for the virtual space in which the cube is located (visible when the cube is zoomed out, such as when it is being rotated with the mouse)" you've confused me, but I don't have compiz. Are you layering your skydome image on top of kde's? does compiz allow for a wallpaper to be selected and used?

Maybe you just want to replace the kde background image with your skydome image? Or use a solid black KDE desktop background.

saphyn
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:47 pm
Skydome is an image you can use that's outside the scope of the desktop, part of the Desktop Cube. It's not a wallpaper replacement, but you can consider it as you said, the background for the virtual space.

Here's what I can't describe to you, the effect I'm trying to achieve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z9Lplhve8U

Watch from around 1:10 in. It shows clearly that there's no desktop background. That's what I'm trying to achieve. :)
google01103
Manager

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:51 pm
I still think its a Compiz option like transparent cube see http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Cube

"Transparency

The Transparent Cube section contains options for changing the cube's opacity. You can set its Opacity During Rotation, its Opacity When Not Rotating, and the Fade Time when transitioning between the two opacities. You can also enable Transparency Only on Mouse Rotate so that the cube does not change opacity when rotated using keyboard shortcuts, or when it is automatically rotated to show a newly focused window on a different viewport. Note that if you set your desktop cube to be transparent when not rotating, you may experience slight visual glitches with some animations and effects. The Lighting option under General Options -> Display Settings can also affect the appearance of windows on other sides of the cube."

saphyn
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:55 pm
I can tell you from playing around that it has nothing to do with Compiz, because I can set the colour of my desktop by right clicking on my desktop -> Desktop Settings (this is inside Plasma Workspace options) -> Wallpaper and change to anything: Colour, Image, Slideshow, and it leaves either an image or colour, like it's supposed to, effectively not transparent.

The transparency that you're referring to is the total transparency of the cube itself, not the desktop. These are two totally different things.

Edit: I also just found this: brainstorm.php#idea89738_page1

This is EXACTLY what I want. Is it not possible with KDE?
saphyn
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:10 pm
Now I'm pretty sure what I'm looking for is a way to remove the desktop plugin from Plasma. Anyone have any ideas?
Renze
Registered Member
OS

Re: Transparent desktop?  Topic is solved

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:31 pm
Can't be done. Without plasma-desktop, you'd have no place to paint the panel, let alone any other widgets.
saphyn
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:39 pm
I was kind of afraid of that. As much as it might suck, since I like KDE, I guess it's back to Gnome for me.

Thanks for the assistance.
Renze
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:28 pm
To be more precise, it is back to Gnome 2.x for you. Gnome 3.x very likely won't do what you want, either.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:22 pm
Question (if saphyn is still interested to answer it): Does setting the "total transparency of the cube" not make the plasma-desktop (as a whole) transparent?
I suppose the trouble with that working as I'm thinking it should work is that all things painted by plasma would be equally transparent, including the widgets and the panels (which as I recall is just how it worked in KDE 3.5 as well).

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Renze
Registered Member
OS

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 pm
No, in 3.x the panel was a separate window and a separate application (kicker).