This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Modify Kickoff (application launcher) help function?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
This is more an annoyance than a serious problem, but every time it happens, it results in several extra clicks...

Sometimes when I go on Kickoff (application launcher) to start a program that is not in the favourites, I suddenly get an icon with a help symbol that would allow me to click on something to get help for it.

I would like to turn this function off or at least disable it for the Kmenu.

If you need more information to understand what I mean, please let me know and I'll try to explain it better. I have been searching here in the forum and on Google for this and can not find anything about it.

I would appreciate a tip for what to look for :)

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Kubuntu 11.04 - KDE 4.6.3 - Intel dual core 2.0 GHz - 2GB RAM - nVidia GeForce GO 7400
google01103
Manager
I don't recall ever seeing such and can't replicate this on my system.
-Does it happen also if you use Lancelot?
-As a new/different user?
-Is it limited to apps not previously used?

Anyway of taking a screen shot?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Hans
Administrator
OS
Is it your mouse pointer that changes? I don't see anything like that here, and I doubt it's something new in 4.6.3, so it sounds more like a bug to me.

Can you post a screenshot?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:I don't recall ever seeing such and can't replicate this on my system.
-Does it happen also if you use Lancelot?
-As a new/different user?
-Is it limited to apps not previously used?

Anyway of taking a screen shot?

It is difficult to take a screenshot as it is the mousepointer that changes and when clicking somewhere else it disappears.

It has happened on my previous installations, and this one is a fresh installation of 11.04 with KDE 4.6.3, not an upgrade.

I have never tried Lancelot.

The problem is not consistent - I still can not pinpoint exactly what happens, so I am not sure how to re-create. Next time it happens, I will try to get a screenshot by only using the keyboard :-)

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Kubuntu 11.04 - KDE 4.6.3 - Intel dual core 2.0 GHz - 2GB RAM - nVidia GeForce GO 7400
google01103
Manager
you didn't say if it happens running as a new user? You say new/clean install but I assume you kept ~/.kde4.

You may need to do a video screen record using something like xvidcap or recordmydesktop to capture the mouse pointer change

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, should have been more precise:

No, I did not keep .kde (don't have any .kde4 on Kubuntu). I have copied data from a few folders that I needed (mozilla, thunderbird and a couple of others), but nothing that had anything to do with users, system settings etc.

So it is a clean install - completely.

And as it is nearly impossible to recreate ( no pattern ), it is hard to know when the recording should start...

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you open System Settings, then press the "?" that is in the Window Decoration, is this the same cursor as you see?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Oceanwatcher
Registered Member
OS
Actually no. What I get is the icons you see in the Kickoff menu - the flotation device and sometimes one of the other icons.

It happened yesterday night again and as I was in the midle of a series of clicks, I did not notice until it was too late - I clicked on the dashboard, and it created a shortcut there. Easy enough to remove, but irritating.

Regards,

Oceanwatcher
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It seems that you are somehow triggering a drag of one of the icons from Kickoff. No idea how this could be happening unfortunately. Does it happen with a different mouse?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Hans
Administrator
OS
It probably has to do with these bugs:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=248820
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=249768

which should be fixed now.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts