This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[KDE 4.6.3] Power Management settings are not saved.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
matee89
Registered Member
Hello everybody!

I've got openSUSE 11.4 64 bit system with stable 2.6.38 kernel and KDE 4.6.3. I think that this is a KDE issue, so that's why i am posting it here. Problem is that when I want to change some settings in the power management (like brightness, screen energy saving time-off, dim display), they doesn't seem to save, even after the X restart and full reboot. It's seems like screen energy saving is set permanently for 10 minutes, don't matter what time do i set. Any suggestion to get it working?

Thank you!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Did you upgrade from a earlier KDE release where screen saving was set in a different settings panel by any chance? It may be that the UI has been removed, but the code to apply it might still be active...

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
matee89
Registered Member
Hi bcooksley!

I've upgraded KDE from version 4.6. I think that I've adjusted screen saving time earlier on that version, BUT i don't remember if it worked on 4.6 or is it broken just on 4.6.3.
matee89
Registered Member
Hello again! Sorry that I post under my own message, but I really want to know how to fix that issue without need to reinstall the whole system. Energy saving is an important option for me and i want that power management working.

Thank you.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Ok, if you create a new user, does the power management functionality work there? Your Powerdevil configuration might need resetting..

KDE Sysadmin
matee89
Registered Member
Hi bcooksley! Sorry for not answering faster, but I've got quite busy days. I have tested to create a new user and adjust power settings - still not works. I have also compiled new kernel (2.6.39), tested on stock one, installed newest nvidia drivers v.270.41.19 .. even tried to install newest KDE from the different repository. Right now I've got no more ideas how to possibly fix that issue...
Lukas
Registered Member
Are you sure its not a screen saver turning on?

If you have screen saver enabled with default settings - just a blank screen - it will turn on and act almost exactly like the power manager turns of the screen, excerpt the screen is still using electricity :(

It's a broken by design situation. :'(

Hope this helps ;D
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you have the screen saver disabled (which is the default) then Powerdevil should switch the screen off by default..

KDE Sysadmin
matee89
Registered Member
Hey! Yes - the screensaver is off, and the power devil is turning the screen off after the default 10 minutes but the thing is that i cannot adjust that time. Sure I can input another time in the field, but it's still that default 10 minutes anyway. The same thing with the brightness control - moving the slider and accept the settings doesn't change anything. Hope that you understand that issue better right now.

Thank you!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you ensure that you have activated the right profile? Powerdevil has multiple profiles available, and the profile you are altering might not currently be active.

KDE Sysadmin
matee89
Registered Member
I have a stationary PC and I have just one profile named "Performance" - this is the default enabled one.

Thanks
ior
Registered Member
I'm in same situation. After upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3 on kubuntu, energy saving start after 10 minutes. Only Performance is settable.
In addition, also the network goes down.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you believe it is an actual bug - I suggest filing a bug report.

KDE Sysadmin
ior
Registered Member
Ok, I can do it, but which package should I report?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Power Management in KDE is handled by PowerDevil, which is a component of Solid in KDE Bugzilla (bugs.kde.org) I believe.

KDE Sysadmin