This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Keyboard Mapping Problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
NickElliott
Registered Member
OS

Keyboard Mapping Problem

Tue May 31, 2011 2:08 pm
I re-installed 11.04 on my netbook and now some key mappings no longer work correctly, so the symbol on screen doesn't match the key e.g. £ and # (quite a lot more are incorrect).

I installed using the alternate CD (same as last time) but instead of accepting the default keyboard I used the wizard, this correctly identified the keyboard as locale 'gb'.

Unfortunately it isn't working properly. Locale/language settings are correct, and the keyboard is set to Generic 101 even though it is a netbook. I have tried several other keyboard types with no luck.

Any suggestions or can anyone with a netbook (mine's a Samsung NC10) tell me what keyboard setting they have on their system?

Thanks

Nick

NickElliott, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Keyboard Mapping Problem  Topic is solved

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:27 am
Have you tried disabling the keyboard layout changing functionality in KDE to see if this has any effect? There could be a conflict between the combination of the KDE specified layout and the system wide layout.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
NickElliott
Registered Member
OS

Re: Keyboard Mapping Problem

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:17 am
bcooksley wrote:Have you tried disabling the keyboard layout changing functionality in KDE to see if this has any effect? There could be a conflict between the combination of the KDE specified layout and the system wide layout.

Thanks, this pointed me in the right direction.

In System Settings...Input Devices...Keyboard under the Layouts tab 'Configure layouts' was disabled. As soon as I enabled it an entry appeared for a 'us' keyboard.

I replaced the 'us' layout with 'gb' and all is well.

I'm guessing something went wrong during installation, there's a bug report which I think is related to this so I'll report my findings there.

NickElliott, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.