This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

SOLVED: Lag before displayin file lists

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
johnnytheswede
Registered Member
OS
Hi Forum,

I use KDE on top of Gentoo and I have deep subdirectories to keep my documents structured. however, when I, from OpenOffice, wants to indicate a file for opening then I of course have to browse through the directories to find the right place. Then there is an unacceptably long delay between the choosings of the various directories in the the path. For example, I want to access /home/johnny/kurser/Operativsystem/VT_2011/protocol.odt. I then click johnny, wait 10-20 seconds, then I can click kurser, I have yet 10-20 seconds of waiting to do, then Operativsyste etc.

Similarly, outside of OpenOffice, if I want to open a file, I need to click it. I then use Dolphin to find the file, and it is the same story. Click kurser wait long time, click next subdir etc. And these times OpenOffice isn't even launched but all I get is the hourglass symbol that reverts back to the usual mouse cursor, and NO file is opened. I then have to start OO and move into the open-menu and open the file from there. Again, there of course is the lag again.

What's wrong here?

Johnny

Last edited by johnnytheswede on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Lag before displayin file lists

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 pm
Very unusual. Can you reproduce under a new user? Also, try disabling the sidebar and thumbnails.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
johnnytheswede
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

Thanks a lot, I believe that disabling thumbnails in Dolphin really did the trick, KDE is very responsive now. I unticked the "Use thumbnails embedded in files"-checkbox found at Settings->Configure Dolphin->General->Previews and now OpenOffice is fast and it is also no lag when clicking around in the file hierarchy.

Might an explanation like "KDE uses Dolphin to search for embedded thumbnails in files before showing the menu and therefore disabling thumbnails speeds things up" make sense?

I'll keep in mind disabling the side bar for future needs if they arise.

Best regards
Johnny
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Given the length of time delay it could be that there were problems with the thumbnail creation process (due to any number of factors)

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]