This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unable to do any "power management" in 4.6.3

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
glupie
Registered Member
OS
The KDE user experience just seems to keep getting worse and worse. :(

Recently upgraded from 4.4.5 to 4.6.3.

I soon noticed that the screen no longer blanked.

Went to Menu / Settings / System Settings / Power Management. Everything had been rearranged, and there was only "dim" and "power off" (versus "standby" "suspend" and "power off" before). Set dim to 10 minutes and saved. Nothing happened.

Went back into the settings to look at it again, and all of the power management profiles were gone. Hit "Defaults" and a window popped up telling me that profiles would be created (after hitting OK) based on the machine. Hit OK. Actual result? Nothing (still no profiles). The file /home/user/.kde4/share/config/powerdevilprofilesrc is still there with profiles in it, but they don't display.

Ran /usr/bin/systemsettings from the command line:

When I did that, I got:

Code: Select all
Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::Changed()

When hitting "OK" trying to recreate the profiles, I got:

Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::Changed()
 systemsettings(11728)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:

And when exiting, I got:

systemsettings(11728)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig

Finally, I attempted to determine if this was some kind of permissions problem (later versions of KDE are stuffed with all of the new "policy" excrement), so I tried the same thing as root with the same result (no profiles, and unable to create any profiles).

While I don't care much about saving the planet, I don't want to burn up energy (and my monitor) because basic screen blanking won't work.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Whilst outside of KDE, please find and remove "powerdevil*" files in ~/.kde4/share/config and remove ~/.kde4/share/apps/powerdevil if it exists.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
glupie
Registered Member
OS
That does solve the problem in the short term, but it keeps returning (and exiting kde to delete those files is not always convenient).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
That is extremely unusual. Please file a bug report at bugs.kde.org.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
thatoneshadykid
Registered Member
OS
If you find a fix to this problem, please be sure to post it. I'm having the exact same problem.