This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

unexpected "maximize" behaviour in mplayer

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
glupie
Registered Member
OS
"Forever" (meaning going back well into the last century) and on every gui environment I have ever seen, clicking on the maximize button enlarges a window to fill up that entire screen, and clicking on the button a second time restores the window to its original size. It seems that kde 4.6.3 (a recent upgrade from the 4.4 series) want to redefine that behavior.

Using mplayer (started from konsole), pressing the maximize button now grows the window to a "ratio correct" size that fills up the entire screen horizontally, but leaves the bottom third of it empty.

Even worse, the maximize button no longer changes to a diamond (from an upward pointing arrow) when clicked, so that it absolutely does nothing after the first click. This means (as far as I can tell) that there is no way to restore a window to its original size (with just a click - it is still possible to resize it manually).

I absolutely detest the way it works now. Please tell me there is some way (settings) to get the old behavior back.

EDIT - toad (forum mod) changed subject
Hans
Administrator
OS
Please refrain from using provocative titles, it's not helpful for anyone. See also .

As for your actual problem, it seems like MPlayer overrides the default window behavior, and I can reproduce it on my system (4.6.3). However, I can't reproduce it with other applications that I have tested. I don't know if there's any way to force MPlayer to maximize normally. Instead, I would suggest you to use F to watch in full screen.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts