This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How I make a customization on kde for all new users

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lcn.mustard
Registered Member
OS
How I make a customization on kde for all new users and remastersys?
I wanna change default wallpaper, theme, splash, mouse theme, panel, etc, to later run remastersys. I only find howtos for gnome. Using kubuntu lucid with kde 4.5.3

PCCOnfig: nvidia nforce 430-320gb sata2 - sempron LE1150 - inrenet adsl 4mb
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This depends on where KDE takes the system wide configuration from. At least on openSUSE systems, customisations made by the System Administrator for all users are supposed to be installed in /etc/kde4/.

It depends however upon the configuration and customisation done by your distribution however. Storing it in $PREFIX/share/kde4/config or $PREFIX/share/config is also a popular method (and the KDE upstream default)

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
toad
Global Moderator
OS
One very cool way is to use /etc/skel/ Whatever is in there is used for setting up new users - and it should be distro independent.

Debian testing
lcn.mustard
Registered Member
OS
/etc/skel/ only has four files:
.bash_logout , .bashrc,.directory,.profile is that normal for kubuntu (Lucid)? And in /etc/kde4/ only has de kdm folder.
Can I create a new user, customizing your folder and copy them to folder /etc/skel/ ?

Thanks!

toad
Global Moderator
OS
Exactly, create a new user, customise as you see fit and copy ~/.kde4 over to /etc/skel

Debian testing
lcn.mustard
Registered Member
OS
I made the changes that I want, created the new user, it works all right, but in time to logout or turn off or restart nothing happens.

toad
Global Moderator
OS
@ icn.mustard

Since I cannot help you with that one I suggest you start a new thread entitled "KDE cannot logout" and explain the situation. Clearly you are missing something but I'm not sure what...

Debian testing