This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

A few KDE 'systemsettings' questions/bugs?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
n944la
Registered Member
OS
Hi

I have been wondering about the following issues (at least for me) and would like to get some advice on how to (if doable)correct these problems or possibly create/modify script files to re-code them in order for them to work. These are not important by any means, however, I thought it would be nice to fix/change them to suit my own preferences.

First, some specs

KDE Version: KDE 4.7.0
Distro: Mageia Cauldron 64 Bit

Situation I

When I create a new Widget on the desktop (in this case Quicklaunch), I always have to reset the size of the applet each time I re-boot the system. Again, this isn't a big deal, however, I am just trying to find out what can be done to correct it as well as see if anyone else has this problem.

I have deleted the widget and then re-activated it and noticed it did the same thing.

Situation II

Within 'systemsettings' you can download and install Window Decorations, Themes, KDM Images, and Desktop Themes, however, I noticed that this nice feature is not present within the 'application appearance' applet and would be really nice if this could be added at sometime.

Several versions back (KDE 4.x), someone mentioned that it would not be possible due to some compatibility issue with QT or something to that effect and was wondering if this was the case or if this indeed can be added in the future.

Situation III

Within 'systemsettings' at the Log-in Screens applet you can download and install KDM themes, however, I notice that several of the screens I download via that applet do not show up within the listing of installed screens. I don't know if this is a bug or [again] if this is my system. If someone could just verify it for me so I know what to rule in or rule out I would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx a bunch guys

Tim
ARS N9NU
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
For Situation II: This is very hard, as Qt styles need to be compiled before they can be loaded and used by Qt - and thus KDE. It isn't possible to script them either as the performance penalty would be too high (every single element passes through the style)

For Situation III: Not sure about that, it could be that styles downloaded as a user aren't being made available because they need to be available as root.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]