This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Custom Shortcuts: Insert Text: Unicode

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dare599z
Registered Member
Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to have the custom shortcuts insert unicode characters, rather than plain (ascii?) text. I tried putting the character itself into the box, and the code, but neither filled them in. Assistance would be appreciated.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
I wonder what purpose you have in mind and whether there is already an alternative way to do this. Generally unicode is only required in text documents, not for user interaction. So most text applications have ways of inserting unicode.

The only application I know of that accepts a Unicode code point is Gnumeric but that is not a KDE application. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of KDE knows better.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
dare599z
Registered Member
Thanks for the reply!
A thing that I often find when trying to help programmers is that they never really state their TRUE issue or problem, and thus full solutions are never found. Yet, here I am, perpetuating this issue in another form... Sorry haha.

All I really want to do is easily insert the interrobang (‽).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang

Unfortunately, I plan on using it a lot. And obviously I have no key on my keyboard for this. When I saw that KDE can insert text, I figured it would be a nice solution to map it to META+1.

Anyways, if you know a better solution that what I'm attempting, that would also be appreciated! If not, I'll keep looking. Thanks again for responding!
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
I can see your problem; most fonts do not support this character - after trying a dozen or so, I only found Free Sans that supports it.

So I suspect the route you may need to go is to select the application within which you can define a keybinding for that character; in LibreOffice that may involve writing a Macro to ensure that a font that supports it is available as part of the action.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Hans
Administrator
OS
One alternative could be to use the Paste plasmoid (you can add it to the system tray if you want), which lets you paste text snippets including unicode characters. This is a bit more troublesome than using a keyboard, but after pasting it once it gets added to your clipboard, and you can insert it with Ctrl+V until you copy something else.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
dare599z
Registered Member
I appreciate both of your replies. I didn't suspect many fonts to support it, but the default openSUSE 11.4 one does (haven't really checked into font settings yet..). But I will probably take the paste or custom shortcut routes. Thank you for the advice.