This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transparent Panel with compositing disabled

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
YAFU
Registered Member
OS
Hello.
I've seen in many themes that plasmoids can be transparent without having the effects enabled. Even in my favorite plasmoid (Customizable Weather Plasmoid) you can adjust the transparency level. Then, the transparency of the panel with the effects disabled: Is this an unsolvable limitation in the panel code or simply has not been implemented?

When I refer to "transparency" I mean a basic transparency, no blurring of course.

Thanks.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Real transparency is not possible since the panel runs in its own window (I think I use the right terminology here). For example, you can drag a normal window below the panel. From this you can see that the panel doesn't live on the same "scene" as the desktop widgets.

Fake transparency is possible but not implemented because it's considered a hack. I think some distros, such as Chakra, has patched the source to enable fake transparency when compositing is disabled.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts