This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

The order of OK & Cancel buttons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
abtz
Registered Member
OS

The order of OK & Cancel buttons

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:25 am
Hello,

Is there a way to change the order OK & Cancel appear in dialogs in KDE?

I recently started using KDE. While there is a lot to like about it, I think the order Cancel/OK (Gnome & OSX style) is far superior to OK/Cancel (Windows & KDE style). I keep misclicking all the time.
karthikp
Registered Member
OS

Re: The order of OK & Cancel buttons

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:03 am
As I understand it, the order is changeable, but I don't know what exactly causes it to change. In gnome, qt-based applications will use the same order as other gnome applications. In kde-land, it uses the default order (the one you're having trouble adapting to).

I don't know how qt/kde knows what the local system settings are and which order to use...

karthikp, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008.
quixote
Registered Member
OS
If someone out there knows which config file to edit, I'd be curious to get the answer too. It's not a huge annoyance, yet anyway, but one of the things I really like about KDE is how I can get everything "just so." ;D
abtz
Registered Member
OS
Anyone?

IIRC, this was an editable option in KDE3. It should be possible to do in KDE4, even if the option is hidden/only accessible through a config file.
aixx
Registered Member
OS
This is a major problem for me to get comfortable use of the KDE.

Please someone help us!
luebking
This is controlled by a style hint. On a shameless advertising move: in bespin you can configure the dialog order.
KStyle *could* offer this in "kcmshell4 style" to control this globally for all inheriting styles.
abtz
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:This is controlled by a style hint. On a shameless advertising move: in bespin you can configure the dialog order.
KStyle *could* offer this in "kcmshell4 style" to control this globally for all inheriting styles.

OK, thanks -- I just downloaded Bespin from Arch Linux AUR. Will see if I can get it to work with KDE.
abtz
Registered Member
OS
As an aside -- LOL, I just noticed that this forum must be the only one I've ever used where the "Submit" post button is in the bottom left as opposed to the bottom right...
luebking
run "bespin config" after the installation (or configure it from the style kcm) - the option is in "Input/System", a dumpster page ;-)
michaelfitzpatrick
Registered Member
In the Input/system junk drawer, select OS X from the "dialog buttons layout" option.