This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How-to change Icon?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
starbuck
Registered Member
OS

How-to change Icon?

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 pm
Is there any way to change an icon of a program (for example replace the QMMP-default butterfly with a more music-like icon) and have it consistently displayed on panel (as launcher), task-manager (once it's started) and at the top left corner of the actual program window?

I know how to change the icon in kde menu and on panel, but the other places still keep showing the default (installed) one instead of the new one.

Any idea appreciated! :)
google01103
Manager

Re: How-to change Icon?

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:40 pm
I believe they're set in the program so to change an icon it you'd have to make changes to the code

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

SeaJey
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:18 am
I believe they're set in the program so to change an icon it you'd have to make changes to the code

I think you could change tray icons without editing source code. See for example Krayscale (Plasma tray icons)

kubuntu 10.04 AMD64 - KDE 4.4
AMD - radeonHD - M-Audio revolution 5.1
starbuck
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:02 am
Thanks, I thought there might be a way, but I guess it can't be done (at least not in the taskbar).
Hans
Administrator
OS

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:31 am
It can be done for some applications by changing the icon theme. Not sure where the QMMP icon is located, but see if you can find it in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/. The default KDE icons are usually located in the icons/oxygen directory. If you change something here it will affect the whole system, but it's normally not recommended - it's better to create a custom icon theme in ~/.kde4/share/icons/ (or ~/.kde/...) and use that one.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Esjitu
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:45 pm
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wanted to say that it does in fact seem possible to replace the default taskbar icons. I've given myself the iconset of one of the Faenza KDE spins, and while that makes 90% of my desktop look great, it irks me when the default icons appear in the taskbar for certain programs, so I set out to see if this was possible to remedy.

KDE stores the default icons for the taskbar in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ under various sizes (and then inside the 'apps' folder within, of course). When I noticed that some of the icons in these folders (48x48 and 32x32 specifically) were the replaced Faenza icons, but others were the defaults, I figured this was the right place and decided to test it. I used GIMP as my guinnea pig for this. First I renamed the default icon of gimp.png to gimp-1.png, because it's never a good idea to overwrite a default anything without first backing up the original...then I dropped in a replacement .png of the same size (a Faenza-styled GIMP icon I created) and named that gimp.png. I did this for the 48x48 and 32x32 folders, since those should be the only ones necessary if you don't make your panel much larger or smaller than the default. I then fired up GIMP and, lo and behold, the taskbar icon has changed just as I predicted:

Screenshot

Note that the taskbar entry for GIMP now matches the new icon in the 48x48 folder.

So as long as you're willing to write to your root icons directory (just make backups of whatever you replace), you should be able to replace your taskbar icons to match whatever your theme of choice is.

I did this on OpenSUSE 12.1 with KDE 4.7.

Have fun :D
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:49 am
Note that this only applies to those applications which delegate the choice of icon to the one they find on disk. KDE applications do that, and will reference the current theme first (then begin to start falling back, usually ending with hicolor). Further, you do not need to edit the root icon directory.

Try replicating the /usr/share/icons structure in ~/.local/share/icons

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
tyreed
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 16, 2013 2:00 pm
bcooksley wrote:Note that this only applies to those applications which delegate the choice of icon ....
Try replicating the /usr/share/icons structure in ~/.local/share/icons

Applications 'default' icons can be changed by editing the 'app.desktop' doc and choosing a diff icon for the app. (~/.local/share/applications/ ) or by right-click kicker (launch, start) menu button > edit applications and change the icon associated with an application.

I agree with Esjitu, Changing the 'default' icons in /usr/share/icons/ * is the fastest way.

Reed.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat May 18, 2013 10:53 pm
Please note that not all applications will follow this - while KDE applications usually will (especially when they are launched with a --icon argument), others may not.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
joshaughnessy
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:44 am
thanks guys some useful information here......... ;D
joshaughnessy
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:52 am
Icons for programs can be easily changed using the KDE Menu Editor, by finding the desired application in this and clicking on the icon button. From there it can be changed to any icon you want, including your own custom icons, click save and the system will be updated.
It can also be done by finding the executable file, or launcher and finding the icon in the "properties" dialogue.