This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New Window Instance

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tretas
Registered Member
OS

New Window Instance

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:31 am
Hello,

I have just a fast question:

for example, i have dolphin open, i know i can get a new window instance using Ctrl+n, but how can i have that using just the mouse (in a quick way)? Can i configure the Application's menu icon (the one on the left upper corner) to when i middle-click it it creates a new window instance?

Or is there another way to get a new instance of an already running app??? (i know that the new applications launchers can only create one instance and then they're gone...)

can someone point me a solution?

tks
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: New Window Instance

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:07 am
You can always use e.g. QuickLaunch (should be included in a package called kdeplasma-addons or something similar) if you want a more traditional launcher. I don't think you can use the window titlebar to open a new instance.

Personally my favorite way to launch applications is with global keyboard shortcuts (configured in e.g. kmenuedit), or with KRunner (Alt+F2).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Re: New Window Instance  Topic is solved

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:13 pm
You can use quicklaunch instead of the launchers, or use icon tasks instead of the normal task manager (it has "start new instance" in the right-click menu). In KDE SC 4.8 the default task manager will also have "start new instance" in the right-click menu. But there is no way to add that to the title bar, especially since not all applications support that (some applications, such as amarok, can only have one instance open at a time).

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
tretas
Registered Member
OS

Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:40 am
Ok, some of them i already knew! But not

"In KDE SC 4.8 the default task manager will also have "start new instance" in the right-click menu."

This is very nice!!! Will wait for it then (will use CTRL+N until then).

But let me ask one more thing, then... will 4.8 also allow user to customize mouse buttons actions on desktop and task-manager like in kde 3.x versions?! Or am i missing something???
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:27 am
tretas wrote:But let me ask one more thing, then... will 4.8 also allow user to customize mouse buttons actions on desktop and task-manager like in kde 3.x versions?! Or am i missing something???

This is already possible for the desktop. Right click on desktop -> Desktop Settings -> Mouse Actions.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
tretas
Registered Member
OS

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:28 pm
Nice!!! I missed that one :D

and how about task manager, wasn't that possible on 3.5 as well???
(don't quite remember anymore.)

Is there a list of 3.x not yet converted functions??? or is it all covered already?

tks once again
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:43 pm
I don't think it was possible to change the mouse actions in the panel (Kicker) in 3.5.
Haven't heard about such a list, but feel free to create one. I'm sure there are many features that are still missing (but may not be desirable to add back), and many that have been integrated in a different way.