This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Screen flickering when typing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
super.rad
Registered Member
OS
Been using Intrepid since the first beta came out and had both gnome and KDE installed, gnome has always been fine but whenever I type in KDE I get flickering lines all over the screen and occasionally on closing a program the whole screen goes black for a few seconds and then returns to normal. The flickering is so bad it's making KDE unusable. I tried to record it using recordmydesktop but the flickering doesn't show up on there. It is only kubuntu that does it as gnome works fine and also using KDE on anyother distro is fine.
My graphics card is the following:
Code: Select all
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

I tried a fresh install of kubuntu intrepid RC this morning and the problem is just as bad.
I haven't made any changes to Xorg.conf and have checked Xorg's log and cant see any errors or messages that could be to do with this.
My xorg.conf looks like this
Code: Select all
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Anyone have any ideas?
If you need to see what is happening I can film it on my phone and upload the video to youtube.

Last edited by super.rad on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super.rad, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Screen flickering when typing

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:59 am
The fact that recordmydesktop is unaffected means that it is a nasty reaction ( like the NVidia one ) between the brand new technology KDE 4 uses and your X drivers.
what X driver are you using? if you are using the SiS one could you please try the vesa driver.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
bcroq
Registered Member

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:33 pm
Same problem here, with Sis drivers too... I'll try with VESA.
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:46 pm
I get it with nv and nouveau, the Kubuntu bug is here. Apparently it's an extremely old bug that has re-surfaced with the latest Xorg.

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
super.rad
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:40 pm
Updated KDE on Kubuntu using the Project Neon nightly KDE repo's and the problem has gone

super.rad, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.