This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to create QtCurve theme KDE

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
drcasper
Registered Member
OS

How to create QtCurve theme KDE

Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:52 pm
Hi,

I want to make my gtk2 theme for KDE.
Is there a good instructions/tutorials/tools for creating a QtCurve theme. Can Images be used as elements (buttons, badgrounds, handles, scrollbars...)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: How to create QtCurve theme KDE

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:42 am
Unfortunately Qt styles must be written in C++. As such, you cannot directly use images and colors. One thing you can try to do is create a KDE Color Scheme, which allows you to alter the colors used by KDE applications.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: How to create QtCurve theme KDE

Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:39 pm
QtCurve is the most flexible Qt style available. To get started tweaking things, open up SystemSettings -> Application Appearance -> Style, select QtCurve (if it isn't already) and hit Configure.

This will open up QtCurve's settings dialog where you can tweak various settings for just about every aspect of the appearance of the widget set. Everything is pretty self-explanatory, and the preview window is nice for seeing the changes you are making as you make them.
While you can't use images for buttons, scrollbars, etc. basic elements, you can set an image to be used for the window background in General and either setting Background appearance or Background image to File and selecting the file you want to use (it doesn't do any scaling of the file).
You can tweak the gradients used for the different elements in the Custom Gradients section, and adjust the depth of 3D effects/widget borders in the Custom Shades section.
There is also a large collection of themes available on kde-look.org which use QtCurve (I'd estimate that half or more of the "KDE4 themes" are QtCurve themes) that you can use as a starting place.

The Bespin theme also offers a high degree of customization, though not nearly as high as QtCurve (though IMO, Bespin generally looks nicer/better than QtCurve, but Bespin doesn't have a GTK counterpart (Orta comes close, depending on how you've customized your Bespin theme)).

If you are skilled in SVG editing, you can use the Quantum style (http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Qu ... ent=101088) and design the elements entirely in SVG (the style comes with some fairly comprehensive documentation to get you started). I know that there are quite a few people who would really like to see more themes using the Quantum style.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.