This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New windows open full screen

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
krusher53
Registered Member
OS

New windows open full screen

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 am
Running openSuSE 12.1, KDE 4.7, new to KDE. Switched from Gnome when they came out with Gnome 3 (yuk).

Playing around trying to get Compiz type effects working and somewhere, somehow I hit something such that now, ever time I open a new window/program it opens up in Full Screen mode. I double click the title area and it downsizes but I don't want to have to do that everytime I open something up.

How do I turn off the "Maximize on Open" functionality?

Tony

BTW, am so far VERY much liking KDE over Gnome 3.
google01103
Manager

Re: New windows open full screen

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:52 pm
what is:

systemsettings -> window behavior -> window behavior -> advanced -> placement -> _______?

if it's "maximizing" that could be your problem

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

krusher53
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:26 pm
google01103 wrote:what is:

systemsettings -> window behavior -> window behavior -> advanced -> placement -> _______?

if it's "maximizing" that could be your problem

Value there is Smart. Next thing I am going to try is creating a new user, logging in as that person, and see if same behaviour (personal setting vs system wide).

Thanks for the suggestion!
google01103
Manager

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:52 pm
what if you change placement from smart to something else?

what about systemsettings -> window behavior -> window behavior -> advanced -> window rules
it should be empty but it could be possible to have rules that maximize

also, what happens is you disable desktop effects ctrl+shift+F12

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

krusher53
Registered Member
OS

Re: New windows open full screen  Topic is solved

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 pm
Creating the new user then signing in as that user removed the behavior.

Also, in System Settings->Window Behavior->Window Behavior->Advanced the placement is still Smart.

However, Tiling is now off.

OK, that seems to be the issue and in playing around with tiling and getting to understand it a bit it now makes sense.

Tiling is literally that, stacking the windows in the current workspace as if tiles on your floor. I was creating windows in **EMPTY** work spaces so the initial window came up "tiled" in that workspace, ie, occupying the whole thing. I did not attempt to create another window in that new space until I had gotten the original resized.

So, I turned tiling off and the behavior went away. Multiple windows were created in a work space at a size much smaller than my screen and in random fashion.

I turned tiling back on the the first window occupied 100% of the workspace, the second window then split the entire workspace 50/50 with the first, the third split took 50% of the real estate occupied by the second, and so on.

I will be marking this solved, thanks for the help google!