This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KRunner and Search Box widget

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
EGriffith92
Registered Member
OS

KRunner and Search Box widget

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:57 pm
Alright so this has come up before by other people but I havent been able to find a real solution so this is part (maybe) bug report, part feature request and part "Help me find a solution to my problem" haha

Soooooo the issue. KRunner is awesome, I love what the devs have done (seriously) Its amazing, its flexible, its smart, it accepts plugins like i am 90% happy with it. Here's the 10% where I'm not.

If I want to run kate, thunderbird, and firefox from krunner I have to do it 3 times, Krunner disappears everytime you hit enter. So You end up having to do

" alt-f2 > kate > enter > alt-f2 > firefox > enter alt-f2 > thunderbird > enter"

Why? Thats a waste of time and effort. Why can't we have a Krunner widget that integrates into the panel or plops onto the desktop similar to OS X's spotlight where I can type in firefox hit enter, or just anything else. If i want to watch Batman Begins go to the search bar, type batman, KRunner (im assuming) calls Nepumok / Strigi, queries it for batman, displays Batman Begins.mp4 I hit enter, and it pops open in VLC without me ever having to bring up Dolphin and go through my folders. Its Static, it doesnt disappear

In my... adventure to solve this, I found the "Search Box" Widget thats included by default but I cant figure out what it does or what its supposed to do. If I type in ANYTHING... nothing happens. I assumed it was a static frontend to KRunner but apparently im wrong and if I hit the wrench to configure it the only 2 options I get are to share it across the network, or keyboard shortcut. Meanwhile if I click the wrench thats there after hitting Alt-F2 I get a full list of plugins and settings so is this a bug? Or Whats the point of Search Box? Nepumok is on and has fully indexed my entire home folder, in KRunner I can search through files in my home folder in Search Box....nothing, absolutely nothing happens.
google01103
Manager

Re: KRunner and Search Box widget

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:06 pm
there is a run command widget http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ru ... tent=91495, is this what you are calling the "search box"?

which version of KDE?

This used to work for me but as of 4.8 it does nothing, or maybe locks my plasma desktop (can't remember) UPDATE: after updating KDE and compiling the run command plasmoid it is again functioning, though text in the text field is not showing (this might be my theme)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

EGriffith92
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 pm
That looks like, and I was calling it Search Box because when I do right click desktop > Add Widgets the name of it comes up as is "Search Box" But it didnt work for me on 4.8, or back on 4.7

Details:

Search Box: "Search box for a given RunnerManager." version 1.0.0

Author: Artur Souza "asouza@kde.org"

Can any devs chime in on why no one created an official widget frontend to KRunner? The code and UI are already there, one would think i'd just have to be a copy-paste from the alt-f2 code into a widget. I'd do it myself but ive never once even touched KDE's code base, frameworks, or even QT's.
google01103
Manager

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:31 pm
don't think search is the same, when I bring up install widgets and search the results are different if I for for "search" and for "run", you may not have both installed on your system - in mine the package is plasmoid-runcommand (yours may be different)

EGriffith92
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:49 pm
yaourt's compiling plasma-runcommand-plasmoid now so we'll see after its done. Did it function like KRunner (when it still worked), Google? Like you could use it to run bash commands, or search your home folder and everything else KRunner can do?
google01103
Manager

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:52 pm
yes, it's what you are looking for

EGriffith92
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:04 am
So very close >< Google, thanks for your help. But Run Command's not it. 1) If I put it on the panel it defaults to be about 50% of the panel width, with no way to resize it. 2) Doesnt integrate with Nepomuk like KRunner does. I can use it to run applications but if I type in the name of a file in my home directory, it doesnt compare it against Nepomuk's / Strigi's database and thats half the things I use KRunner for other than applications.

If I forget where i put a file, for example, but I know its name I can just pop up Krunner and type its name so long as it was indexed by Nepomuk then it'll appear. Such as any of my 30+ movies in my ~/Video folder
google01103
Manager

Re: KRunner and Search Box widget  Topic is solved

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 am
as the project appear alive I'd suggest querying the dev on kde-look.org and ask about nepomuk integration

if I place it on the panel it is large but not as large as you experience, again try querying the dev

EGriffith92
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:26 am
THanks for the help Google, marking as solved