This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

'Open with' for a folder

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Re: 'Open with' for a folder

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:36 pm
As the bug i reported was marked as invalid, i made a video showing what's happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPQaUKIBwCc

As you see i didn't mean at all "choosing VLC as my file manager". I just wanted to add VLC to folders' context menu to be able to open folder with VLC.

If i did it the right way, then there is a bug somewhere. Possible issues:
1. I added VLC to folders' context menu the wrong way. If so, tell me how to it the right way. Manually fixing the application priority - i think this is not the right way.
2. I added VLC correctly, but there is a bug that VLC has priority over Dolphin.
3. I added VLC correctly, but there is a bug that device notifier open the first application associated with folder instead of Dolphin (the bug i reported). An alternative solution would be to show all applications in the actions: Open with VLC, Open in File Manager, Open with Qmmp, etc.

Please comment
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:33 am
In this case, I would say you probably went about it the incorrect way - as checking the box to remember the association is a indication from the user that they want to use this application as the default in the future (while this is not what you intended).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 am
bcooksley wrote:In this case, I would say you probably went about it the incorrect way - as checking the box to remember the association is a indication from the user that they want to use this application as the default in the future (while this is not what you intended).

So what's the correct way to add programs like VLC to the context menu without going to File Associations?

Maybe folders should be treated in a special way?
Maybe 'remember the association' should be disabled? Or renamed and treated differently?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:08 am
I am not sure of the precise behaviour, but I would recommend using File Associations for tasks such as this.
Without checking, I think simply selecting the application, and not checking the "Remember association" checkbox will still cause it to be added as a possible application to use.

KDE Sysadmin
blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:38 am
bcooksley wrote:Without checking, I think simply selecting the application, and not checking the "Remember association" checkbox will still cause it to be added as a possible application to use.

That would be nice, but it does not work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLyt2xRTw94

I think the behavior you mention is present on Windows.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:19 pm
Unfortunate. You might want to file a feature request / bug report, as the text for that option should definitely be clarified to mean it will change the default.

KDE Sysadmin
blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:16 am
bcooksley wrote:Unfortunate. You might want to file a feature request / bug report, as the text for that option should definitely be clarified to mean it will change the default.

I would like to, but i fear i'll just waste my time.

First, the submitted issue is going to be vague (and English is my my native language).
Second, i don't think the dev will try to understand and fix the issue - see his comment on the bug i posted above. I think the dev understands that something is wrong with the situation i had, but he just said my issue is invalid (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=293576#c1) without trying to understand and deal with the inconsistency i had.

Maybe you know how to define this new bug properly that it would be objective and the response received also to be objective? I would like to contribute with UI issues to KDE, but i think there needs to be a guide of how to effectively contribute to KDE for non-devs (http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 ... ment-47467).
banerhythm
Registered Member

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:20 pm
Regarding the thing about the "dev notifier":
On my case it is somehow set to use Kate by default (in your case its VLC), so when place a CD, and click the cd icon on Device Notifier then try opening it with file manger; it somehow automatically opens Kate.

> and an error message then pops up saying "The file 'file:///media/********' could not be opened: it is not a normal file, it is a folder."

This was my case for quite some time, after a day of google and still zero solution, i went hunting solutions myself using the GUI,
and finally i came to resolve this by going to the "System Settings" > "Default Application" > Selected "File Manager"

* to my suprise Kate is "ticked" *
- with "just to see if 'THIS' is the pain in the ****" in my mind; i ticked Dolphin. . . Applied. and booom! problem SOLVED.

hope this helps other people with the same problem. :|
luebking

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:06 pm
ok, a necro-help ;-)
Code: Select all
kcmshell4 filetypes

http://i.imgur.com/i16Hbw2.jpg