This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

'Open with' for a folder

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
blindvic
Registered Member
OS

'Open with' for a folder

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 pm
I have a folder with a lot of cartoons. I wanted to add VLC to the context menu of folders:

Now i am able to open a folder in VLC:

But in some cases folders are opened in VLC instead of Dolphin:

Did i do anything wrong?
google01103
Manager

Re: 'Open with' for a folder

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:15 pm
You need to look at the Device Manager settings because you are mounting and opening a device not working on a device that has already been mounted. If you mount the device first then it, I believe, will work as you expect in Dolphin but since it is not mounted and you are not using Dolphin .......

There are (on my system) 3 Media Device manager VLC actions

It is my guess that the media and the data contained you are opening is not configured to be handled by default in the 3 VLC Device Manager Actions

Is this media a cd or a dvd? With folders containing music and or video?

My guess is that you are using a data cd and that you will need to create a new action for it to work as you wish, maybe like this but set up for a cd instead of a dvd

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:49 am
Could not understand everything you said.

I've made a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKvIPLmCPLA

I have a data dvd.

And here are my settings in Device Actions section:
blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:51 am
BTW, here is the content of ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

Code: Select all
[Added Associations]
application/xhtml+xml=chromium-browser.desktop;firefox.desktop;kde4-kwrite.desktop;kde4-words.desktop;wine-extension-xml.desktop;wine-extension-txt.desktop;
inode/directory=vlc.desktop;
text/html=chromium-browser.desktop;firefox.desktop;wine-extension-htm.desktop;kde4-kwrite.desktop;kde4-words.desktop;wine-extension-txt.desktop;
video/ogg=vlc.desktop;
video/x-msvideo=vlc.desktop;
Hans
Administrator
OS

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:27 am
Not sure I understand the problem - when you click on "Open with File Manager" in the device notifier, does it sometimes open in VLC instead? If that's the case, it sounds like a bug somewhere.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 am
Sorry for not being clear.

Yes, that is the issue. When i insert i DVD into Optical Disk Drive, the menu appears (screenshot #3). When click 'Open with File Manager', VLC starts (like is shown in the video).

I think this is because of the associations a made - opening folders with VLC.
google01103
Manager

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:08 pm
Well I misread your problem but still think it is an issue with the default settings in Device Manager - maybe a bug

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 pm
I opened file associations and moved Dolphin on the top:

Now the optical disk is really opened by Dolphin.
I think it's a bug - something is said to be opened in Dolphin, but is opened in VLC.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:00 pm
I believe (read: guess) it's a bug in the device notifier plasmoid, which got a rewrite in 4.8. Could you please post a bug report to http://bugs.kde.org?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
Hans
Administrator
OS

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 pm
Great! I think it would be good if you could add a short description to the report as well, so that people don't have to click on the forum link to understand what it's about. :)

blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:26 pm
I so tired right now...

Also it talk me a lot of effort to prepare messages in this forum.

You could not understand the issue from my first post even with a better description, so i think people will have to look here anyway...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:25 pm
From what I see - the Icon that the Device Notifier is using is hard coded - but it follows the KDE wide file association in terms of what application should be used to open folders.

When you checked the box "Remember application association for this type of file" KDE added VLC to the top of the associated applications list for folders.

You likely did not notice this initially (as the shortcuts you use to launch Dolphin launch it directly rather than via the file association).

Generic shortcuts, which are intended to switch between the users preferred file manager (usually Dolphin or Konqueror) will show this issue.

Therefore, this would be properly defined behaviour which is expected.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
blindvic
Registered Member
OS

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:19 am
So, you say it's not a bug?

Device Notifier say 'Open in File Manager' and opens the disk in VLC.
I say it's a bug.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:21 am
Technically, it is not a bug - as you have set VLC as your default File Manager as far as KDE is concerned.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]