This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

i am new

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
raystar
Registered Member
OS

i am new

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 pm
hi guys,i have just installed kde desktop on my lap top which runs on ubuntu 10.4.when booting up my machine goes all the way and boots perfectly but the problem is,upon completion the screen goes black,the system seems to run on but i see nothing on the display,can someone out there help me?
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: i am new

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:52 pm
Hi and welcome to the forums!

Do you see your mouse cursor? If not, it could be a problem with compositing, try to disable it with Alt+Shift+F12.

You can also try to press Alt+F2, this show KRunner. From there, try to start e.g. konsole.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
raystar
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:07 pm
yes i can see the mouse curser.and i have tried your two suggestions but seem not to solve the problems>is there another probable solution?
google01103
Manager

Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:02 pm
was this a new install of Kubuntu or did you add the KDE desktop on top of an existing Ubuntu Gnome installation

what graphics card/chip and graphics driver are you using?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

raystar
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 pm
thanks google for asking,i added the KDE desktop on top of an existing gnome installatio.the gnome is working just fine.as for the graphics card and drivers i dont know where to look.can you help?
google01103
Manager

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:03 pm
the command (run in a terminal) lspci -v|grep vga will tell the card

Maybe your KDE update did not install everything? can you determine if the plasma-desktop package is installed, if not run sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x