This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kdesu and wrong widget/color style

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
frasty
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
On my desktop kdesudo launched apps have long since appeared with the system widget and color style.

So is there a way to have kdesu apps make use of the current session style?

Besides kdesu launched apps also some other apps behave the same. One of these is "ktp-text-ui" (compiled from git repo) which uses the system kde style. This is something I really don't understand.

Fedora 32
Plasma 5.19.2
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unless you set the System Style to be the same as your own - ie. by running System Settings as root and setting it there - then kdesu executed applications will not be affected by the current session.

As for ktp-text-ui, this is likely because it is launched by your local D-Bus session instance, which was launched so early in the session start process that it is missing out on environment variables which help KDE applications ensure the right theme, etc are applied.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
frasty
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Unless you set the System Style to be the same as your own - ie. by running System Settings as root and setting it there - then kdesu executed applications will not be affected by the current session.

As for ktp-text-ui, this is likely because it is launched by your local D-Bus session instance, which was launched so early in the session start process that it is missing out on environment variables which help KDE applications ensure the right theme, etc are applied.

Thanks for the hint about kdesu. I hope in the future more system applications will get rid of kdesu and make use of polkit.

Anyway ktp-text-ui appears with the system style also if I launch it from the terminal. Maybe this is something out of scope of my knowledge.

Fedora 32
Plasma 5.19.2
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Hmm... if you run ktp-text-ui as follows, does it crash by any chance?
Code: Select all
ktp-text-ui -style oxygen

KDE Sysadmin
frasty
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Hmm... if you run ktp-text-ui as follows, does it crash by any chance?
Code: Select all
ktp-text-ui -style oxygen

Well, It happened that ktp-text-ui no more runs if directly called from the terminal. It stalls forever waiting to connect to some socket, maybe this is the expected behaviour.

Anyway if called from within ktp-contactlist it keeps running with the wrong widget style.
Weird thing is that running kcmshell from within a root session does nothing. If I change some widget style or window decorations, they are not committed at all.
File permissions in ~/root/.kde appear to be correct.

Fedora 32
Plasma 5.19.2
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Ok, it seems that it is missing out on some session information then. Please ask on the kde-telepathy@kde.org mailing list about this to see if they have any ideas in regard to this.

KDE Sysadmin
frasty
Registered Member
OS
I found out this is a known bug related to dbus activated applications:

Workaround at the end of this page: http://community.kde.org/Real-Time_Communication_and_Collaboration/Troubleshooting#TroubleShooting

Fedora 32
Plasma 5.19.2