This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Suppressing kdeinit4 debug log stuff (but only that)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hooverphonic
Registered Member
OS
Well, as the subject says.

I'm just too lazy to always do everything with the mouse like a Windows devotee (even though I know KDE was orignally designed for just these people :D ) so it happens that I just fire up Dolphin via

Code: Select all
dolphin &

The only think that annoys me are those debug messages I do not need at all.(I'm wondering anyway, WHY have these been implemented in the first place at all? KDE is mainly for users, not for developers huh? So what's the big idea of all this noisy stuff?!)

Some debug log is OK, but do we really need

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/kio_trash.so

every time? HAH, you ain't seen nothing yet! ;D
kDebugStream called after destruction (from void KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry(KDirWatch*, KDirWatchPrivate::Entry*, KDirWatchPrivate::Entry*) file ../../kio/kio/kdirwatch.cpp line 901)

Wow, we users badly need this to know that dolphin just called something from kdirwatch.cpp. Nor can we sleep tonight if we don't get told the line number as well. Yeahhhh right. Geeks they are...

I thought kdebugdialog could "fix" this, but even that they've made as complicated as possible, just to populate bugzilla & co a bit with (redundant) "bug reports".

- Ran kdebugdialog --fullmode to get the whole caboodle
- Selected "none" four times for "kio_trash"
- Re-launched dolphin and got very same debug info about kio_trash again!

??!!
How come?
For a starter, there is no separate "kdeinit4" branch so it should have been legit to assume that this suppresses the debug info once and for all! And I can't seem to agree on suppressing "generic" (#0) just to get rid of this! I don't want to get rid of all of them, but mainly just the kde_io slave stuff!
So is it a bug or do I have to turn off something somewhere else?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try disabling "klauncher" as well as all KIO entries.

The message "kDebugStream called after destruction" is an internal warning which indicates a potential cause of how things may go wrong. Warning messages cannot be silenced.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
hooverphonic
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the pointers, will take a look there.
Looks the worst noise-maker in my case is klauncher.

Well, If you ask me (but you don't) NONE of this stuff should EVER be displayed to end-users, even not when they choose to launch apps via konsole (which, if you're quick enough, can easily be a winner over the method of sifting thru a load of menus)

But it will probably never happen that KDE developers suppress debug stuff by default and only tell users to switch the debugging engine on WHEN there are problems---instead of having the debugger on in every session (unless it's turned off violently, but this "methodics" are to be disregarded here)

Facts are: whenever I install KDE on a vanilla distro, the debugger feels WAY too noisy. Literally, it tells you about every booger it pulls out of its nose. Good, you give users the way to turn this off by kdebugdialog, but that's not the crucial point. It should NOT be like this in INITIAL state. Even the unmodified, initial state ought to be 50% less noisy (because there's no need).

So I presume there must be some special "evangelism" amongst the majority of the dev team who have seemingly propagated this noisiness as "advantageous." (As usual)
But please let me conclude with two classic end-user impressions:
1. the excess noise is annoying.
2 it gives the impression of the desktop environment (DE) being in a somewhat half-baked, unstable state, because---so they think---why would you need so much debug output if the DE WAS stable? So they will assume everything to be still very alpha and/or unfinished!! (Most probably, with a valid point.)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The debug output is in many case extremely helpful - especially for developers and those who help support people - as it tells us what the application is experiencing on your system in terms of the environment.

If you want to minimise the amount of debug output as much as possible, check the "Disable all debug output" checkbox in "kdebugdialog".

Warnings will still be printed - in some cases these are done by Qt and in others by KDE.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]